CCENT - which book

StupporedStuppored Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
Can someone please link me the latest Odom and Lammle's books for CCENT - amazon or something similar to buy from? I'm going to give this all another go. Which book do most of you prefer and why?

I am sure my books from a few years ago are now well out of date as IP6 is now covered in the CCNA.

Comments

• Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    Go for both.

I started off with lammle and then read Odom. There are definitely knowledge gaps in the lammle book but the Odom book is really hard to read if you are totally new to networking.

I would have failed if I relied on one only
  • paranoidparanoid Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Here's the link, pointing to Cisco Press:

CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-105 Official Cert Guide

I've just finished reading it, preparing for taking exam in next few weeks, everything is very well explained step by step. I had already good knowledge of many topics, so it was not that hard to read, facts may be too condensed for a beginner, but if you're willing to learn, it's possible to follow. Key topics are pointed out, so after reading it, you can re-reading it focussing on the key topics. At the end of the chapters there are lists of commands / exercises / further informations. At the end of book parts there are part reviews. Everything is well structured. The book contains 2 practice exams and a basic router simulator (just for ICND1). You get much value from that book. I can recommand it.
  • dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I went for Odom only, I found Lammle's writing style a little too lax. In retrospect though I think both would've been the best option.
  • CertifiedMonkeyCertifiedMonkey Member Posts: 172 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I only used Odom for 100-105 and passed with a 956. It's got everything you need to pass. I think it just comes down to personal preference. Try to get a sample of each book and see which writing style you like more.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Alongside either of those books (I have both and am studying from them both), don't forget to sign up for the Cicso Network Academy Packet Tracer 101 course. It is free and gives you access to Packet Tracer. If you search online, you will find many, many PT labs you can download and work through.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • analogkid1968analogkid1968 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I read Lammle's and Odom's books before I took my CCENT test. Lammle's is much easier to read, and I would recommend reading that one first to get the basic understanding of the exam topics, then follow up with Odom's book which reads more like a text book to be prepared for the exam. I don't think I would have passed just reading one of the books, and I have quite a few years of hands on network experience (not Cisco though).

Download Packet Tracer, like someone else mentioned. Actually typing the commands yourself will be a huge help in learning the exam topics.
  • StupporedStuppored Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thanks all; picked up Odom's Book!
  • stunnedsoupstunnedsoup Member Posts: 120
    I only used Odom for 100-105 and passed with a 956. It's got everything you need to pass. I think it just comes down to personal preference. Try to get a sample of each book and see which writing style you like more.

I used Odom's 100-101 book a few years ago. I definitely preferred his style over Lammle's. I have yet to see the 100-105 version, but I assume it to be somewhat similar, with similar content. I felt Odom's book covered a ton of things and I actually learned a lot. I used Amazon's sample of Lammle's and the style didn't click with me.

Anyway, I agree with sampling both books 1st.
    Cisco: CCENT COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR CCNA COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR || MCSE: 70-410 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-411 [ ] 74-409 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-534 [ ] || VMWare: VCP [ ]
  • nole07nole07 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used Odom's book for CCENT, just passed it today. It was good book, but sometimes i felt like there was a lot of fluff/filler. I've got his book for icnd2 as well, but i went ahead and ordered Lammles just to compare. Chris Bryant's course on Udemy for 10 bucks is great stuff too.
  • Harry RolesHarry Roles Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Get Odom's book and alter individual chapters with corresponding videos, like Chris Bryant, CBT or Novodyne (Udemy).
  • stunnedsoupstunnedsoup Member Posts: 120
    nole07 wrote: »
    Chris Bryant's course on Udemy for 10 bucks is great stuff too.

I agree. Great value. You can even download his videos and run them on your smartphone while in the car. This was great for me since I have 1+hrs roundtrip commute everyday. I was able to get in a few lessons/topics while driving.
    Cisco: CCENT COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR CCNA COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR || MCSE: 70-410 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-411 [ ] 74-409 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-534 [ ] || VMWare: VCP [ ]