Options

Packet tracer lab defies OSPF rules?

jboogie81jboogie81 Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello to all,

I'm beginning my OSPF studies and decided to do a semi-large OSPF lab in PT since i only have 3 real routers to play with. I configured a single area network and all devices can ping each other, but something funny is going on between Router4 and Router5 (10.6.6.1 and 10.6.6.2). Everything that ive read states that there can only DR and BDR (didnt know a router could make itself both DR and BDR either?) but both of these routers advertise themselves as the DR with Router4 also listing itself as the BDR . Router5 lists itself as the DR but with 0.0.0.0 listed for the BDR. They DO have an adjacency but are not exchanging routes because if i want to ping the 10.1.1.1 interface on Router4 from Router5 it goes on to the other routers and then comes back in on Router 4 via Router1 instead of just jumping right across the 10.6.6.0 link. So, maybe i have not read into the chapters deep enough yet, but right now this all does not seem to add up to what i have read so far. Anyone know if this all makes is working by design or is something misconfigured or flawed? Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    OSPF has one DR/BDR per segment. Each ethernet link is a segment. A router can be the DR for one segment and a BDR for another and neither on another etc.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    jboogie81jboogie81 Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the insight, Networker. I was jumping the gun because all the "per segment" stuff was mentioned in my studies right after i posted this.