Just failed CCENT 1 this morning. Any advice?

BennyTheManBennyTheMan Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
I studied using CBT nuggetts and Boson software and Wendell Odom's book. This is the second time I failed, but I am not too down because I had ZERO previous networking experience prior to studying for this test. I am getting really close, but now could use some advice to get me over the hump. Here are my results. I feel I have a good understanding of routing and switching, but some of the material that I was asked, I felt was kind of random or not things I have come across using the mentioned materials or the packet tracer tutorials I used. Here are my results. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Network fundamentals 58
LAN switching fundamentals 63
Routing fundamentals 87
Infrastructure services 78
Infrastructure maintenance 75

Overall I got a 801 and I needed an 832. Also I don't get how these 5 categories average to 83.2%. I am assuming I am not far off, but I wish I knew exactly how the overall score is arrived at.

Thanks.

Benny

Comments

• networkfuzznetworkfuzz Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd say:
    Don't give up.
    Don't get frustrated.
    Keep practicing.
    I tried watching CBT nuggets and maybe it's just me, but I thought they were too vague and would fall asleep while listening to them. I probably got through the first 7-8 videos. While others find them beneficial, they weren't for me.
    Pick up Exam Cram. It breaks down the book by all five categories of the blueprint and you can focus more on the areas where you are weak.
    As far as how the scoring is calculated, that's a Cisco secret and I couldn't even guess how it's weighted.
    Don't worry, you'll get it!
  • BennyTheManBennyTheMan Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you
    I agree with you about CBT nuggets. Kind of anecdotal and I used to reinforce but not to learn new info.
  • thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I hate to always plug this in, but I failed the first time using CBT Nuggets and the Cisco Press books (this was for 100-101 though). I joined ITProTV and it was much more helpful. I can't say for sure that they reinforced material better or if they emphasized things I neglected in the books, or if CBT Nuggets didn't cover it as much in depth. Their online labs helped a lot as well.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • nole07nole07 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Chris Bryant's Udemy course for 10 bucks. Much cheaper than CBT Nuggets and much better in my opinion.
  • labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nole07 wrote: »
    Chris Bryant's Udemy course for 10 bucks. Much cheaper than CBT Nuggets and much better in my opinion.

I second this, I have his NA & NP course. Use some different materials this time and knock it out!!
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I bless you with this... a free CCNA course...

https://www.udemy.com/new-ccna-full-course

Enjoy. Its 100% free for a limited time.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • jhntbrightjhntbright Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here is a another great free CCNA learning stuff, keep learning and good luck...

https://ccnav6.com/
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I say focus on the studying more on the sections you scored lowest on. Then give yourself a review for the other topics.
  • hunterthuntert Banned Posts: 231
    if you used boson ex sim and did not pass you should be able to get your money back if you got less than 6 months ago also i have found the boson netsim helpful
  • CGN_SpecCGN_Spec Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Keep going at it, don’t get discourage, you will pass!
  • hunterthuntert Banned Posts: 231
    https://learningcontent.cisco.com/cln_storage/text/cln/marketing/exam-topics/100-105-icnd1-v3.pdf

this is the exam blueprint it shows the breakdown of the different topics and how much weight they carry for example routing is 25 %
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A piece of advice maybe: when you get frustrated or anxious don't beat yourself up. That's human. Do something else like take a walk, or watch a portion of a movie, or have a quick chat with your spouse.
  • dead_p00ldead_p00l Member Posts: 136
    Everybody learns differently. There are some great links and advice that have already been posted. I have used the Odom books and the Lammle books. Both in my opinion are great bu the Lammle seems to be an easier read to me. That being said, whatever material you choose, once you read or watch it and think you understand it read or watch it again, then again, then again. Make sure you're doing any practice tests provided also. A lot of time passing a test is just about repetition and hammering the material into your head. Good luck.
    This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the
    beauty of the baud.
  • 2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Make sure you know the fundamentals really well. Mainly the physical vs. logical. (Collision domains vs. Broadcast domains)

- Make sure you got the subnetting down.
    A+
    Network+
    CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
    ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)