help with NAT terminology

BennyTheManBennyTheMan Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
I understand how NAT works and the 3 types (static, dynamic and overload) but am confused at the terminology.
Does anyone have a source (no pun intended) that would explain this in a way I can understand and remember it?

Term Definitions

Cisco defines these terms as:
  • Inside local address—The IP address assigned to a host on the inside network. This is the address configured as a parameter of the computer OS or received via dynamic address allocation protocols such as DHCP. The address is likely not a legitimate IP address assigned by the Network Information Center (NIC) or service provider.
  • Inside global address—A legitimate IP address assigned by the NIC or service provider that represents one or more inside local IP addresses to the outside world.
  • Outside local address—The IP address of an outside host as it appears to the inside network. Not necessarily a legitimate address, it is allocated from an address space routable on the inside.
  • Outside global address—The IP address assigned to a host on the outside network by the host owner. The address is allocated from a globally routable address or network space.

I thought I understood this using this reasoning:
Inside network is local private network and the host ip would be the local inside ip. Nat would translate it to a global inside ip. (public ip) It gets routed to a destination, that has an outside global ip (public ip) and nat on that side would translate it to an outside local ip (private ip). Is this wrong? It makes sense to me but seems to contradict the wording of outside global and outside local addresses above. Can anyone clarify?

Thanks in advance.

I'll get this sooner or later

Benny

Comments