reviewing eJPT 29-07-2017

Moments ago, I passed the eJPT presented by eLearnSecurity. In an interesting plot twist, I pursued the OSCP before taking the eJPT. Both of which are supposed to be for "new to pentesting" students. I strongly believe that only the eJPT fits that description.

eJPT analysis:

Pros:
1. Clean Layout
2. Clear Directions
3. Very concise information
4. Focused Lab with a clear objective
5. Very friendly staff and admins!

Cons:
1. Initial lab setup (trying to set up the lab for the first time was very annoying and frustrating)
2. Lab certificates (I understand why they do it, but it's still annoying)
3. No IRC (they answer questions in the forums, but it might take a while for you to get a reply)
4. A few of the questions on the final exam where a little vague.

Exam: I liked the exam, but it had a few vague questions. I knew the answer, but I could argue either way for one or two answers based on the wording. I don't really blame them since writing test questions can be very difficult.

Overall I'd give this course a 9/10 based on what it's trying to achieve.

If doing "l337 Hax" is your goal, eJPT would be the starting line.

I took this course to experience eLearnSecurity's style before dedicating more money to their other courses, and I'm glad I did. I'll definitely take some more in the future.

Right now, I'm torn between doing another eLearn course or another Off-Sec course. The prices are roughly the same, whichever one has a sale first will probably get my business, lol. That's what happens when you pay for this stuff by yourself. icon_razz.gif

Final verdict:

Definitely pursue eJPT if you are new!

Comments

• jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Glad that you liked it. Congratulations :)

eCPPT might have a discount before anyone else for sure. I forget when they do it though.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • vynxvynx Member Posts: 153 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Glad that you liked it. Congratulations :)

eCPPT might have a discount before anyone else for sure. I forget when they do it though.

can we know when the discount for eCPPT ?
  • adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
    vynx wrote: »
    can we know when the discount for eCPPT ?

When they have a sale, I'll be the first in line, lol.

Follow them on Facebook and Twitter, they give stuff away on there.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Keep an eye out for when eLearn updates their material and does a presentation. You'll never find a bigger discount than at the launch of a new course.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • KhohezionKhohezion Member Posts: 57 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm roughly half way through the course right now... Is there anything you would suggest?
    Don't be shy about using lab time.

I was overly cautious about lab time, so I rushed through the modules. I ended up only using 7 hours. If I could run it again, I wouldn't be so worried about watching the clock.

Also, review and download the lab solutions so you can refer back to them during the test. It'll help you a lot.
    Don't be shy about using lab time.

I was overly cautious about lab time, so I rushed through the modules. I ended up only using 7 hours. If I could run it again, I wouldn't be so worried about watching the clock.

Also, review and download the lab solutions so you can refer back to them during the test. It'll help you a lot.

last time i take it i also using the lab around 10 hours ... still left many times ..
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Keep an eye out for when eLearn updates their material and does a presentation. You'll never find a bigger discount than at the launch of a new course.
    someone remember when the last time they give promo / discount ?
    vynx wrote: »
    someone remember when the last time they give promo / discount ?

They gave a free barebones pass this past week while they were at BH2017 in Vegas.

Seriously, follow their Twitter and Facebook. I talked with one of their reps on Facebook and got a free Barebones eJPT from him. That's what lead me to their programs. Now I'm considering dropping thousands of dollars on their courses. If you hang out their Social Media for a few weeks, you'll get free stuff.
    They gave a free barebones pass this past week while they were at BH2017 in Vegas.

Seriously, follow their Twitter and Facebook. I talked with one of their reps on Facebook and got a free Barebones eJPT from him. That's what lead me to their programs. Now I'm considering dropping thousands of dollars on their courses. If you hang out their Social Media for a few weeks, you'll get free stuff.

eJPT i already pass, i'm looking for eCPPT or others
  • aakashc1aakashc1 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I also got free barebones eJPT. So should i still bought leet eJPT course or bought other courses ?What if i bought 4 courses in a row?Please tell pros and cons
    Thanks
    aakashc1 wrote: »
    I also got free barebones eJPT. So should i still bought leet eJPT course or bought other courses ?What if i bought 4 courses in a row?Please tell pros and cons
    Thanks

4 course bundles are a great idea. If you want to learn a broad range of subjects, you should look into it.
    I decided to attempt the ElearnSecurity WAPT course. I'll keep everybody posted!
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I decided to attempt the ElearnSecurity WAPT course. I'll keep everybody posted!

Good luck! Looking forward to updates.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    I didn't do any update threads for my other courses, but I think I might for this one.

I'm not sure how long it'll take to get through the course. I'll be able to dedicate some serious time to it though.
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    Submit an eLS review and you have a chance to win a free course.

https://community.elearnsecurity.com/topic/4362-the-elearnsecurity-review-contest/
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • technogoattechnogoat Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is this a good cert/class for newbies who want to get into pentesting/infoesec?
    technogoat wrote: »

i believe yes,
    take a look another review :

http://www.techexams.net/forums/security-certifications/128492-ejpt-elearnsecurity-junior-penetration-tester-review.html
    technogoat wrote: »

This is a very good intro cert.
    I think the eJPT is the best "entry level" hands-on certificate in the field.

It truly is the best hands-on certificate for true beginners.

The OSCP is amazing, but calling it "entry-level" is incorrect, IMO.

If you are new to the field, and truly want a starting point, take the eJPT. I promise you won't regret it.