New cert: GSTRT. Anyone looking into it?

cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
I'm being pulled towards a security leadership role and talking to a colleague of mine the other day this class/cert came into the discussion. Has anyone been through the MGT514 class or is considering it, along with the new cert?

Comments

• scascscasc Member Posts: 461 ■■■■■■■□□□
    A friend of mine told me his colleagues went and did 514 - highly recommended it as it teaches pure strategic stuff around cyber. I was looking at it myself and they have only just released an exam for it so would be nice to get if you have a chance. Have you done much management before? If not you may find CISM/CRISC etc more suitable though 514 has some interesting material - I.e. Pest/Gap/Porter analysis. Like Business School.
    AWS, Azure, GCP, ISC2, GIAC, ISACA, TOGAF, SABSA, EC-Council, Comptia...
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I keep toying with CISM but I am not sure I want to introduce another vendor to my portfolio of certs. I'll keep it in mind though.
    That sounds good.

CISM helped me build a strong base for management - I topped this up with the CRISC because that helped me things through from risk/mitigation/reporting perspective.

You may find GSLC more suitable than 514 - check it out.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Based on the syllabus MGT512/GSLC seems way too basic for my level. I'm pretty sure it would be like when I took SEC 501, total snooze fest. I think I'm going to apply now for some work study for MGT514 in early 2018 and just kill CISM before the end of this year.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Based on the syllabus MGT512/GSLC seems way too basic for my level. I'm pretty sure it would be like when I took SEC 501, total snooze fest. I think I'm going to apply now for some work study for MGT514 in early 2018 and just kill CISM before the end of this year.

You could knock out CISM in two weeks using the QAE DB.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    Sounds like a plan - to do 514 and CISM. Well worth it.