MSI or Alienware?

fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I just got an MSI Leopard pro with the following stats for $1599.

• Intel Core i7-7700HQ Processor 2.8GHz
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5
  • 16GB RAM
  • 256GB SSD+1TB HDD
  • Microsoft Windows 10
  • SD Card Reader
  • Killer Gaming Network E2500
  • 1x1 802.11ac Wireless+Bluetooth 4.0
  • 17.3" Full HD Anti-Glare Wide View Angle Display

Then I just noticed that Alienware has this laptop for $1649

• Windows 10 Home
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB dedicated graphics
  • Technical details: 7th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 processor; 17.3" display; 16GB memory; 1TB hard drive; 128GB solid state drive
  • Special features: Bluetooth; HDMI output
  • Note: DVD/CD drive not included

So it's pretty much the same as my MSI except the SSD is 128GB as opposed to 256GB and is $50 more.

Sadly, part of me wants to return my MSI and get the Alienware just cause of the allure of the name. Growing up I always wanted an Alienware. This just feels like my chance to get a decent one. And I already have a 256GB SSD that I could swap out with the 128GB in the Alienware and I'm only out of $50.

What do you guys think? Do you guys think Alienware is still good or not so much since they were bought my Dell? Am I just being ridiculous by wanting the Alienware? lol.

Comments

• ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Id go with the alienware
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • urstuffplz1urstuffplz1 Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had an MSI recently and I'd never get another. The laptop plastic is weak and was easily dented, let alone the hinge that was slowly crumbling away. Oh, and the screen snapped when I picked it up.. I'm not that heavy handed and I look after my stuff as it's all expense. I only had the laptop 11 months and just bought myself a Dell Inspiron 15 so I can get rid of the MSI.

Personally, return the MSI and find an alternative, you won't regret it.
    2018 Goals: CCNP Route 300-101[X], CCNP Switch 300-115[X], CCNP T'Shoot 300-135[X], VCP-DCV 6[], 70-412[], 70-413[], 70-414[]
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Have used the same MSI laptop for the last couple years, have had zero issues with it myself....
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MSI wins on specs, who gives a flip about a name (other than the hoards of people who buy Apple products, Bose, Sony before that ...)? How does the build feel? Alienware was bought by Dell in 2006. If we were having this conversation in 2004 I could see the comparison but this is like asking if you should buy a Sony TV based on their quality back in the 80s.
  • jelevatedjelevated Member Posts: 139
    AW. Have one. Zero regrets.
    EANx wrote: »
    MSI wins on specs, who gives a flip about a name (other than the hoards of people who buy Apple products, Bose, Sony before that ...)? How does the build feel? Alienware was bought by Dell in 2006. If we were having this conversation in 2004 I could see the comparison but this is like asking if you should buy a Sony TV based on their quality back in the 80s.

MSI wins on specs
    Alienware Wins on QUALITY

Quality always trumps specs... because you can have the best laptop in the world... but if it falls apart or gives you endless issues its not worth it
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been looking into Eluktronics.

4.5+ stars on Amazon consistently and is LOADED with specs. This one I found is $1899.00 but it's not much more.

[FONT=&quot]Operating System[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: Genuine Windows® 10 Home 64-Bit (Clean Installation, No Bloatware)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Processor:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Intel® Core i7-7700HQ Quad Core (2.8-3.8GHz TurboBoost, 6MB L3 Cache)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]RAM:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 32GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Display:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 15.6" Full HD 120Hz 5ms Anti-Glare (1920 x 1080)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Graphics:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 8GB GDDR5 VRAM NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 1070 + G-SYNC[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Primary Drive: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]512GB Eluktro Pro-X PCIe NVMe SSD[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Expandability:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Two empty DDR4 Slots; Two 2.5" HDD/SSD (1st bay 7mm, 2nd bay 7mm or 9.5mm). Mounting hardware included![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Optical Drive:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] N/A[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Wireless:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Intel Dual-Band Wireless-AC 8265 2x2 + Bluetooth 4.2[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Keyboard[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: Premium Full-size Customizable Color Backlit Keyboard with 10-key numeric keypad[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Mouse:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Built-in Microsoft® Precision Touchpad (PTP) multi-gesture & scrolling function[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Webcam:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 2.0MP Full HD Webcam & Array Mic[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Ports:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 2 USB 3.1 Gen 2 port (Type-C), 3 USB 3.0 Ports, HDMI® 2.0 (with HDCP), 2 Mini DisplayPort v1.4, Gigabit Ethernet, 2-in-1 Audio Jack (Headphone & S/PDIF output), 1 Microphone jack, 1 Line out jack, 6-in-1 SD Card reader[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Added Security:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Fingerprint Reader; TPM 2.0, Kensington® Lock[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Audio:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Sound Blaster X-Fi MB5 with Onkyo Speakers; ESS SABRE HiFi DAC on headphone output[/FONT]

If you go on their website they sometimes have better deals and builds than the one's on Amazon.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ITSpectre wrote: »
    MSI wins on specs

I think your just paying for the name with Alienware personally... Absolutley zero issues in the 2.5 years I've had my MSI laptop. No plans on getting a new laptop anytime soon. I'd totally agree and say go Alienware if I had any issues with mine. But in my experience you'd be paying more and getting less. In the end it isn't much of a difference and not that much more in cost. So I'd say go with whatever a person prefers. The most important thing to me is having peace of mind with what I purchased. I hate the feeling of thinking something might have been better if I only spent a little more money!

The only reason I kinda want a newer laptop is because I wish I would've gotten one with a better display. Not that big of deal since I usually have it hooked to monitors though.

The laptop ITSec mentioned sounds pretty beefed up!
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    More than keying in on the brand name. Both MSI and Alienware are both strong, well known names in the PC/Gaming worlds. MSI more known for custom component builds where Alienware is more known for its dedication to initial quality and overall specs. Alienware is now Dell but kept most of its commitment to the high quality components and overall build but lets be frank - I still think - Dude! You gotta Dell!

Having built MSI mobo builds and a current owner of an Alienware laptop I can say the following even if its a bit apples and oranges but somewhat speculative. If your traveling with the laptop my personal experience would say the Alienware will hold up better over time over the MSI which has had the tendency to use thinner components than competitors like ASUS (mobo layers and resin thickness).

Much as you can read here on this board people have strong opinions on both Alienware and MSI. The whole love/hate thing is common among techs in general so depending on the thickness of your skin there is no winning there. icon_lol.gif

Alienware if your going to travel. MSI if its sitting your desk but want a smaller footprint.

- b/eads
  • fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm so torn right now lol. But thanks for the feedback guys
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ITSpectre wrote: »
    MSI wins on specs

Quality always trumps specs... because you can have the best laptop in the world... but if it falls apart or gives you endless issues its not worth it

Quality is always important, as you might have noticed had you read my post. I asked the OP about build feel. You sound like a "fanboi" for Alienware. AW is fine but we're talking overall value, not name. If something seems solid and acts solid, there's no reason to pay extra for branding. If those don't meet spec then someone should pony up the extra dough for the name that delivers the goods.
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My brother's MSI accidentally fell on the floor on its edge. A plastic thing is damaged. Else is OK.
    EANx wrote: »
    Quality is always important, as you might have noticed had you read my post. I asked the OP about build feel. You sound like a "fanboi" for Alienware. AW is fine but we're talking overall value, not name. If something seems solid and acts solid, there's no reason to pay extra for branding. If those don't meet spec then someone should pony up the extra dough for the name that delivers the goods.

icon_lol.gif
    actually.... I use a PC for gaming.... I rarely use laptops at all for that. If I want to travel and game I would just build a mini PC for that. I like alienware because I have used it and its solid for what I need it to do, which is game. Alienware is a gloified dell for gaming.... MSI is for gaming to...what it boils down to is personal preference.... some like MSI others like Alienware... just like some people prefer Andriod, and others like Apple....

But if im a "Fanboy" then I will be a fanboy... icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
    #Teamalienware
    I'm only looking into gaming laptops because they have the specs I need for setting up bigger practice labs. Don't want to shell out $3k for a MBP that has 1/3 of the specs.

I'm not a gamer. Haven't played video games in roughly 8 years and I'm not even 30 yet. I'm amazed at how so many IT pro's have time for that stuff, especially if they are married/have kids.
    ITSec14 wrote: »
    I'm only looking into gaming laptops because they have the specs I need for setting up bigger practice labs. Don't want to shell out $3k for a MBP that has 1/3 of the specs.

I'm not a gamer. Haven't played video games in roughly 8 years and I'm not even 30 yet. I'm amazed at how so many IT pro's have time for that stuff, especially if they are married/have kids.

It helps when you have a Spouse, girlfriend, s/o that doesnt mind you playing video games icon_cheers.gif
    Shoot...even if my wife didn't mind, I still have to get stuff done around the house lol. My yard doesn't cut itself.
    ITSec14 wrote: »
    Shoot...even if my wife didn't mind, I still have to get stuff done around the house lol. My yard doesn't cut itself.

Most of us play on weekends or for an hr after work or so.... But Me personally I game on the weekends mostly, PLUS I get stuff done.
  • adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
    If you aren't gaming, you might want to look at other computers.
    If you are setting up multiple VM's, more cores and lots of ram matter more than GPU's.

Ryzen seems like a great CPU for labs, and will be shipping with laptops soon.

I bought an Alienware in 2012 and it still runs like a champ. I turned it on the other day and it was running perfectly fine even though it's been sitting in a closet for months.

MSI has some bloatware problems, but you can take care of that within an hour of owning the machine.