Is VCP still worth in 2017?

Muhammed HMuhammed H Member Posts: 93 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just wondering how much value does VCP certificate holds right now? Specially while many of small to medium size businesses switching to cloud?

Comments

• urstuffplz1urstuffplz1 Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm in the UK and have been on a job hunt recently. Approximately 60-70% of the jobs I am going for (infrastructure type roles) are listing VCP/VMware as one of their essentials or desirable requirements. I don't believe the need for these qualifications is going to disappear anytime soon, although it's not going to be as prominent as it once was.
    2018 Goals: CCNP Route 300-101[X], CCNP Switch 300-115[X], CCNP T'Shoot 300-135[X], VCP-DCV 6[], 70-412[], 70-413[], 70-414[]
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am VCP since 2008. In those year being VCP was more "exceptionnal" and was almost perceived as a "high-level cert" but now it is the A+/Network+ of infrastructure job (just a bit exagerated). Now for exceptionnal VMware they are expecting higher level cert like VCAP...

If you want to be serious about infrastructure, then do it ;) It will never make you loose point in an interview.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There's a lot of hype around cloud. Not saying organizations aren't doing it but there has been hype over many IT things over the years and now it's cloud's turn. You're going to have to have a good hype radar if you're going to succeed in this industry.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The big boys may not ever but the majority of their infrastructure in the cloud. Of those, a super majority will be running VMware infrastructure for the foreseeable future.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Why not do an Amazon AWS cert instead?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• ChinookChinook Member Posts: 206
    Tell you this much, I've recently been doing some security architecting for the SMB market. Almost all clients use O365 and a good number are already in Azure. Those with physical hardware seem to use Hyper-V.

My own personal opinion is that VMware will be relegated to the Enterprise (like Exchange) so if you're going to pursue it as a career path, I'd go hard and deep.
  • UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    Chinook wrote: »
    My own personal opinion is that VMware will be relegated to the Enterprise (like Exchange) so if you're going to pursue it as a career path, I'd go hard and deep.

The last 4 companies I have worked for (in the UK) have all been moving away from VMWare to Azure and leaving VMWare to host legacy stuff that is unimportant. In the SME space it is becoming at best useful, but it is not a door opening cert anymore.

The enterprise space is a different ball game, but the number of people with experience and skills are gravitating towards these last few work spaces so competition is fierce and without experience you will struggle.

I would recommend focussing on cloud certs in combination with Office 365 and Sharepoint as this is the way the majority of SMEs are going now - even Google users are being lured away by the better quality services Microsoft offer and the availability of staff with experience to support it.

Perhaps the USA is a bit more behind the curve here so best to look at what the job adverts are looking for, identify the trends of change and get ahead of the curve.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The largest economy in the world will have a wide variety of organizations and situations. Location in this case is far more important than anything else and since the OP is in NYC, he'll have a wide variety of options. Far more than if he were in Omaha.

I do agree that smaller firms are more likely to use Hyper-V and larger ones to use VMware. Someone starting off just with vSphere will be at a disadvantage with a VCP unless they're combining it with other skills (AD, NSX, Cisco, etc.) Because vSphere in the enterprise is one component, people will do better with complimentary skills or going deeper into VMware with the VCAP.

Because of the location, I think he'll do just fine with getting a VCP.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Agreed, focus your efforts on Cloud based certs. Azure/Amazon
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• Muhammed HMuhammed H Member Posts: 93 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Probably it doesn't worth as much as it used to 5/6 years back.
  • alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just switched jobs and I plan on letting my VCP expire. If you can get a company to pay for your class fee then get the VCP. With that said, I would renew it if I was looking to stick with "SysAdmin" work so it was a toss up.

I got it because I was working in a VMware environment but without that as a driver, I would go with AWS or something like it.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • MicroScoMicroSco Member Posts: 18 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Go for AWS. Things are moving to cloud.