Options

Cannot grant access to users from trusted domain

w^rl0rdw^rl0rd Member Posts: 329
I just set up a 2-way trust between two forests. When I log onto a DC in Domain A and attempt to add users from Domain B, I get nothing.

For example, I attempted to add an account from Domain B to the Remote Desktop Users group on Domain A which is in a trusted forest, I click Locations and the other domain is in the list but when you click the plus sign to expand, nothing appears.

Anyone have experience with setting this up?

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you created global or universal groups? You need a universal group to add users from other domains. However, best practices state that you should create domain local groups, then add universal groups to that, but you still need to create a universal group in order to add users outside your domain.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    If you go to add a user to a group from the Members tab and click Location, you can usually expand the domain and search through the OUs to find a user.

However, when I click on the trusted domain, I get no OUs to choose from.

Also, I am attempting to add a user from another domain to the Remote Desktop Users group on my domain which is a domain local group. Domain local groups should take users from other domains anyway right?
  • Options
    Domain local groups should take users from other domains anyway right?

Yes, you should be able to do that.
    Have you checked out this?
    icon_arrow.gifhttp://www.techexams.net/technotes/70290/man_groups.shtml
  • Options
    Also, what is the functional level of your domains?
  • Options
    2000 native. I have two 2003 domains though. I could raise the level. I didn't think the default setting would be a problem.
  • Options
    DelmirocDelmiroc Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    w^rl0rd wrote:
    I just set up a 2-way trust between two forests. When I log onto a DC in Domain A and attempt to add users from Domain B, I get nothing.

For example, I attempted to add an account from Domain B to the Remote Desktop Users group on Domain A which is in a trusted forest, I click Locations and the other domain is in the list but when you click the plus sign to expand, nothing appears.

Anyone have experience with setting this up?

I had a similar problem once, verify that all your forward look up zones are setup correctly and that all records are correct, this fixed my problem.