EC-Council Certified Incident Handler ECIH "Review"

buhuskybuhusky Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
So one of the certs I wanted to work on this year was incident handling. SANS was too expensive for our budget this year, so I looked around and decided on this guy. My focus wasn't necessarily about forensics or getting hands-on dirty but more of a general, holistic incident management approach. The outline of this program fit the bill and was within our budget, so I opted for it. I noticed there is a dearth of reviews on this test, probably because it isn't very widely done, so decided I'd throw out my opinions as I worked through the material in case there's some other random, lonely soul out there looking for some advice on this material and test.

I opted for the iLearn (Self-Paced) program at $699. This includes PDF version of the courseware/book, 6 months of virtual lab access, pre-recorded streaming video of the instructor talking in front of a whiteboard, and a voucher for the exam.

The first part of my "review" if you want to call it that regards the streaming video. I've got to be honest, I was not impressed by the material. Bulletpoint highlights that will get my point across:
  • It's short. Roughly 4 hours.
  • It's a couple of streaming Flash videos only, broken down into specific modules. No downloads; no alternatives to Flash.
  • It's just the dude standing in front of a whiteboard. Fade to a few PowerPoints every now and again, but 95% of it is just the dude standing in front of a whiteboard. Audio-only would have sufficed.
  • It really doesn't teach you anything. At most it's a very high level overview of the outline of the course without actually going into any of the content in the courseware.
  • There are a few interesting anecdotes thrown in, but nothing really useful in studying or your day-to-day what do I use from this at work.
  • Honestly, I'd recommend skipping the videos entirely. You'd be much better served just using that 4 hours working on your outline or studying the material. I guess if you can queue it up on your phone and listen to it on your drive in to work that would be an option, but you really won't get anything out of it.
Next up will be my review of the courseware, but that may take a few days/weeks as I work through it.

Comments

• khiemkpkhiemkp Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The iLearn package includes:

· One Year Access to the CIH e-courseware,

· 6 months access to EC-Council's official online lab environment

· Certification Voucher & expert instructor-led training modules with streaming video presentations and learning supplements for an all-inclusive training program that provides the benefits of classroom training at your own pace.

If you are ready to move ahead, the next step for me is to send you over our student enrollment form and payment option. Once payment is confirmed, your package will be processed immediately. You will have your login credentials to the online video instruction and environment within 24 hour, your e-courseware within 48 hours, and we will distribute your exam voucher to you when you are ready to challenge the exam.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    • It's just the dude standing in front of a whiteboard. Fade to a few PowerPoints every now and again, but 95% of it is just the dude standing in front of a whiteboard. Audio-only would have sufficed.
    This is how I felt about the CEH and CHFI
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • ooTrebmuNooTrebmuN Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was looking in to this as well. Any updates, did you test out?
  • virtualizationGvirtualizationG Member Posts: 19 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did you take the exam ever?
  • dkorzhevindkorzhevin Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello,

I'm on it right now.
  • lumenitelumenite Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dkorzhevin wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm on it right now.

Hey Did you end up taking the exam ? Is the courseware material enough to pass the exam ?
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome to the EC Council family!

icon_cheers.gif = FTW!

- b/eads
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For this reason I chose to opt out of the EC Council certs alltogether
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello,

I failed exam today with 68% and 34/50. Will start reading ECIH book from scratch.
    Finally, I passed ECIH exam today, with score: 43/50 and 86%. I think, I was well prepared, but still did few questions faster than I should. Passed whole 50 questions in 35 min, instead sitting 2 hours and re-checking each question.
  • RawabdehRawabdeh Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm going to take the test this Thursday, anyone can provide me with exam details? how will it be? the question straight forwards or any tips?
  • RawabdehRawabdeh Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Could you please provide me more details about the exam :)
  • andrea76andrea76 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dkorzhevin wrote: »
    Finally, I passed ECIH exam today, with score: 43/50 and 86%. I think, I was well prepared, but still did few questions faster than I should. Passed whole 50 questions in 35 min, instead sitting 2 hours and re-checking each question.

Congratulations! I will start studying for the exam this week. Any advise that you can give me to help? thanks a lot!
  • andrea76andrea76 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Rawabdeh wrote: »
    I'm going to take the test this Thursday, anyone can provide me with exam details? how will it be? the question straight forwards or any tips?

How did it go?
  • giannis1115giannis1115 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hello guyz , i'm about to give this cert very soon. Is the test similar with the samle one in their webpage (the one in the webpage was not so difficult). Are there any questions about tools usage ? (like nmap, netcat, nessus etc ? )
    Any other info or advise would be extremely helpful.
    thank you very much guyz.