please help i cant connect the two networks

Soul_FxSoul_Fx Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
hello i have been given an ip address of 172.16.165.0/24 at the start and they ask for me to make 2 networks with 100 addresses each i have done that but everything can ping until you get to the router and they wont ping each others network and im not sure why i have done a trecert but it just times out the link to the packet is https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw8Un2TBSoS8Q1dMT01jZ3IwODg if u can help it would really be appreciated

Comments

• Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hey I downloaded your .pkt file and solved this for you. Heres my file

Your requirement of 100 usable IP addresses means you fall within the block size of 128 which is indicated with /25 aka. 255.255.255.128

What you did not do was give all interfaces on BOTH networks this subnet mask.

Your 172.16.165.0 network was still using /24 which means it overlapped with your 172.16.165.128 network.
    (172.16.165.0-255 on top of 172.16.165.128-255)
    Routers do not like this.

So i changed your PC Network cards, switches and router interfaces to use the right /25.

Let me know if you have any questions related to the packet flow.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Soul_FxSoul_Fx Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hello inferno thank you heaps you are a life saver. i went to sleep and was thinking about that soloution and kept thinking the original was 172.16.165.0/24 that would have to be the first?

also i just dont get why a router wouldn't like two different sub nets for an example what if one wanted different amount of hosts? for example 100 and 30?

thank you very much again u have made my day A+++
    No you do not have to start off with the /24. Subnet right away.

I didnt mention that routers do not like two different subnets at all. They were just overlapping thats why it didnt work.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
    ahhh ok just wanted to be sure. so if i wanted to add a different subnet id need another router just asking for future reference thank you for the help its much appreciated :)
    Or you could just use a router with even more interfaces. Each interface will be the default gateway for each subnet.
    Routers break up broadcast domains aka subnets so you have that right. So the answer is yes.

Sometimes you only have one router. Look into Router on a Stick.
    or Layer 3 switching where a router isnt even included and you have plenty of switch ports to add different subnets which the switch can route between.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
    ahh ok that makes alot of sense now also one more thing and thats it i can use any ip address on the servers as long as they are part of the network correct?
    yes as long as they are within the usable range.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
    thank you very very much for the help you are a life saver :)