Sans 523 GLEG

xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
So I will be headed to the SANS GLEG 523 course and I was wondering if anyone has any recent experience with the course? All the reviews have been from 2012 and I was wondering if there has been any major improvements or changes since then. Please, if you can speak on your experience, thanks.

https://www.sans.org/course/law-data-security-investigations
Studying: GPEN
Reading
: SANS SEC560
Upcoming Exam: GPEN

Comments

• xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    No one? Doesn't surprise me, according to SANS only 600 are certified GLEG.
    Reading
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What do you want to know about it specifically? What are you looking to get out of it? I took it awhile ago, it was basically a class for non-lawyers to learn the basics of infosec legal issues. Nothing too in-depth (you aren't going to have to memorize PCI or HIPAA, for example). Like most SANS classes, it introduces a topic, gives you a slide or two on that topic, then moves on to the next topic. It'll be up to you to take the specific sections you're most interested in and then dive deeper using the class material as a starting point. I found it to be a good class for non-lawyers, but the lawyers in my class were a bit underwhelmed (not surprisingly).
    Thank you for your input. I didn't select the class specifically as I have been selected for the work study, but I'm going in with a open mind and want to get the most out of it since I will be in the class. I always been more on the technical and even the analytical side of security, but never from a "legal" point of view.

Has the class helped you in your security career? If you can speak a little about the effects after you completed the studies. How has your point of view changed? Did it give you a different perspective when making decisions at work? Were you giving additional responsibilities at work?
    Reading
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It's not a technical class, but it's useful in that it helps you look at things from the business side, and it will introduce topics that most technical infosec people don't think of - why contractual protections need to be in place, why compliance is (or isn't) important, etc. It'll definitely help you talk to non-technical people across the business and also help put the larger picture (outside of the 1s and 0s) in perspective. i say go for it and then report back here listing whether it's a good class for a techie to take to learn the non-techie things.
    Thank you for the insight, much appreciated!
    Reading