Options

Just bought 2 switches. Quick Question.

jscot002jscot002 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
3745 24 port switches. I was wondering if I could plug my console cable into one switch and flip between the two switches in the CLI. Instead of unplugging the console port every time since my computer has only one RJ-45 port. I'm trying to practice some STP labs. Can i go console to a port on another switch or what? Also, will I be able to switch between the two switches in the same CLI?

Comments

• Options
    jscot002jscot002 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So I was able to console into one switch and SSH into another and have both CLIs up at the same time. Is there anyway to switch between the two in the same CLI?
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the quick answer is no. if you wanted to do a lot of work, you could setup a serial line to/from the aux ports. And, if you go out and try to find information about doing that, you won't find any. Because, it is a lot easier to telnet/ssh into the equipment using a separate teminal window for each piece of equipment. Or buy a "terminal server". even a powered usb hub with some serial adapters can give you 4 (or more) console connections.

and switching between pieces of equipment in the same window is a pain in the ass. get a window for each console and switch between windows is the way to go.
  • Options
    FreejoleFreejole Member Posts: 30 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Definitely what clarson said. I got one of those usb hubs when I was studying for CCNA:R&S and made my life a gazillion times easier. Its worth it, makes labbing so that you can just focus on the configurations and not a bunch of cord swapping and/or trying to config each device from the same CLI
  • Options
    MacGuffinMacGuffin Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Get a couple USB to RJ45 serial cables and be done with it. That's what I did and pretty cheap too.
    https://www.get-console.com/shop/en/usb-to-serial-cables/57-usb-serial-cable-rj45-180cm.html

I don't like spending money on hardware for what I see as a software problem but I believe one's time and sanity is often worth a few bucks.

If you have more than a "handful" of serial devices to plug into then getting a USB to serial cable for each can get expensive and unwieldy. At that point your sanity may be worth buying a serial terminal server or spending the time to look into a more permanent software solution.
    MacGuffin - A plot device, an item or person that exists only to produce conflict among the characters within the story.