CEH Advice

marquise09marquise09 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
How can I found affordable CEH courses? I would love to self study for this cert. I have 5 years of Networking experience, and would like to transition into the security side of things. I have several certs and i just received my CCNA Security and CCNA Cyber ops.

Also, is their any recognized security cert I can self study for without paying 3500 for a course?

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    It usually helps if you state what your background and goals are. This has a lot of weight on recommendations.
  • marquise09marquise09 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have Networking background, and I would like to transition into a pen testing position.
  • IronmanXIronmanX Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Most people I believe read the Matt Walker Book
    https://www.amazon.ca/Certified-Ethical-Hacker-Practice-Exams/dp/1259836606/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1504287751&sr=8-2&keywords=all+in+one+ceh

and build a home lab (Kali Linux, Different versions of Windows etc..).
  • fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I heard the CEH course from CBT Nuggets was really good. I feel like most certs you can get without paying a ton for a course.

What material did you use for your CCNA Cyber Ops and CCNA security?
  • m4v3r1ckm4v3r1ck Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    fabostrong wrote: »
    I heard the CEH course from CBT Nuggets was really good. I feel like most certs you can get without paying a ton for a course.

Going to second this. I took the course through EC-Council as I didn't have the 2 years in the field. The instructor was boring and the videos were 4 hours long at times. I used CBTNuggets as a supplement and it was amazing. Worth the subscription, IMO. I've used them for just about all of my exams.
  • marquise09marquise09 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have build my own lab for my CCNA studies (CYBER Ops, R&S, and Security), also incorporated a kali linux box into the network to do some pen testing.

I know skillsoft is approved training course, is cbt nuggets as well? I just want to self study for the exam. Read a book, look at videos, and apply my theory into a practical appilicaiton.
  • fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    marquise09 wrote: »
    I have build my own lab for my CCNA studies (CYBER Ops, R&S, and Security), also incorporated a kali linux box into the network to do some pen testing.

I know skillsoft is approved training course, is cbt nuggets as well? I just want to self study for the exam. Read a book, look at videos, and apply my theory into a practical appilicaiton.

I don't know if it's officially approved or anything but I've heard nothing but good things about it. As far as books, the All In One by Matt Walker was really good. I enjoyed it.

Your labs, did you follow any particular courses or guides to set them up? I'd like to build a CCENT lab and after that, a CCNA Security lab.