Passed CSA+!

tpasmalltpasmall Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
Didn't study a whole lot for it, read about half of the sybex study guide, did the certmetrics stuff, got an 865.

My takes on it:

Lot of log review. If you have a lot of experience looking at various logs (vuln scanners, windows processes, linux processes, event viewer, nmap, etc.), this shouldn't be a terribly hard test.

However, the test had some really poorly worded questions that took a lot of time to figure out what they were asking for. Lots of spelling errors on the labs too.

Overall, the test looks like it was slapped together, but it definitely feels like a much more technical test than the sec+ was.

Comments

• averageguy72averageguy72 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    CISSP / CCSP / CCSK / CRISC / CISM / CISA / CASP / Security+ / Network+ / A+ / CEH / eNDP / AWS Certified Advanced Networking - Specialty / AWS Certified Security - Specialty / AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional / AWS Certified SysOps Administrator - Associate / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate / AWS Certified Developer - Associate / AWS Cloud Practitioner
  • mauguilarmauguilar Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations.

Thinking on taking this exam, but is it worth to take it?
  • tpasmalltpasmall Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I did it to renew my CompTIA certs since they were expiring in December, wouldn't have done it otherwise. But the Sybex book is a pretty good knowledge supplement/study guide regardless.
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • EsmilloEsmillo Member Posts: 9 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am currently studying for this exam and my weak areas seems to be log analyzing and log review. What would you recommend I could do to sharpen this area?
  • barmanbarman Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Esmillo wrote: »
    I am currently studying for this exam and my weak areas seems to be log analyzing and log review. What would you recommend I could do to sharpen this area?

My tip for the exam (I also passed it, one month ago) regarding the logs is quite simple - if you understand what the logs mean, WHY they show up and WHAT they represent, the template of the log is quite meaningless, so in this case check the syllabus which types of logs you need to understand in advance. That's one the places where you show your experience (IMHO).
    If you can "analyze" the log by heart because you did 100 practice labs but you don't understand what it means, you will most likely fail the exam.
  • EsmilloEsmillo Member Posts: 9 ■■□□□□□□□□
    barman wrote: »
    My tip for the exam (I also passed it, one month ago) regarding the logs is quite simple - if you understand what the logs mean, WHY they show up and WHAT they represent, the template of the log is quite meaningless, so in this case check the syllabus which types of logs you need to understand in advance. That's one the places where you show your experience (IMHO).
    If you can "analyze" the log by heart because you did 100 practice labs but you don't understand what it means, you will most likely fail the exam.

So is there some freeware I can use to generate these logs or get like the gts learning labs? I'm trying to find the best way to get hands on the view these logs
  • barmanbarman Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have you seen CSA+'s syllabus? You should look for the logs of the relevant products that appear there.
    Use google (both for the relevant products and to learn how and why specific logs are generated).
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE