CompTIA Penetration Tester Plus - CPT+

stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
I see that CompTIA is gearing up to add yet another certification to their stable of offerings. I wonder where this will fit into their current lineup. Too bad I am not going to the CompTIA Partner Summit this year as I would love to ask the question to someone in person. It will be interesting to see what their focus will be on for this one. Honestly, I would love to see a hands-on, task oriented certification this time. I hope it doesn't turn into a CEH-lite certification.
The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me

Comments

• EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Damn, I won't have the vacation time built up by then... Hmmmm, maybe my boss will let me go and call it a "special assignment" icon_twisted.gif

Well, realistically, I'll just be looking forward to the beta exam. Taking the CSA+ that way was pretty cool, so I'll drop another fifty bucks to do this one as well.

I'm definitely interested in seeing how this goes. With their inclusion of vulnerability management, I don't see it being hands-on the way OSCP is, but closer to CEH with three or four labs.... Would still be leaps and bounds better than CEH though! (not that the bar is set very high...)
  • walterbyrdwalterbyrd Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Any guess on when the beta exams will be out?

CompTIA was hiring SMEs for August 21st.

Beta exams by spring 2018?
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    walterbyrd wrote: »
    Any guess on when the beta exams will be out?

CompTIA was hiring SMEs for August 21st.

Beta exams by spring 2018?

That would be my guess, honestly. Maybe late winter.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
    I would imagine sometime in late winter, if they follow the same timeline they did with CSA+
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just another money grab. Since security is a big topic now, they are jumping on that bandwagon and milking the people as much as possible.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just another money grab. Since security is a big topic now, they are jumping on that bandwagon and milking the people as much as possible.

I'm getting the same gut reaction as well.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
    Well, yeah. They're a business. Even non-profits need to make money.
  • walterbyrdwalterbyrd Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
    > Just another money grab. Since security is a big topic now, they are jumping on that bandwagon and milking the people as much as possible

Frankly, I think the CEH could use some competition. The CEH exam is over-priced. From what I have read: the CEH exam is poorly edited.

If I can get the equivalent of a CEH for $50, I might jump on it.
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree CompTIA is getting in on the popularity. However, I'll probably take it. I don't see myself ever wanting to be a full-time IT Security guy, but I think it's obviously important to have some foundational understanding of it. So, the CompTIA IT security exams are right up my alley.