Which x WIC Interface Cards are really recommended for CCNP R&S ?

Hawk321Hawk321 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I am struggeling through all the ebay offers and different labs I find on google (beside the Cisco Workbook Labs). My home lab is pretty descent I guess but I am totally confused what xNICs I should purchase.

First my Setup:
2 * 1841 (max Ram, ADV. IOS) 2 * WIC-1T
1 * 1921 no x WIC
6 * 3560 with ADV IOS
1 * 2560 8 Port
1 * Ubiquity EdgesSwitch (also 10 Port)

Well, the main reason I ask, many labs show a 3 - 4 point connection...and I figured out that those classical WIC 1Ts do not fit into my modern 1921. At the other hand, FrameRelay is dead and same goes for old serial connection (well, so far I can intepred various blogs, posts etc). What about those labs who use no serial connection but multiple xEthernet interfaces ??? I mean....I got 2 ?! And how many extra routers do you suggest 1841 or others models??
I own the CCNA R&S and want a lab which can support my goals in an effective way.

Goal:
CCNA Security -> CCNP R&S -> CCNP Sec.

Sidenote: A 5506 and 1 5505 for Sec. is planned.
Degree in
computer science, focus on IT-Security.
CCNA R+S and CCNA CyberOPS
LPIC-1,LPIC-2,LPIC-3: Security
Ubiquiti: UBRSS+UBRSA
some other certs...

Comments

• clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    from what i can tell you need 4 routers. 3 of the routers should have 2x wic and 1 routers with 4x wics.
    So, you need 10 serial ports. and, of course, the cables to connect them together. and, appropriate number of serial ports per wic. The only way your getting 4 serial ports into an 1841 is by using wics that support 2 serial ports per wic.
  • PhiersPhiers Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Based on the fact that the CCIE got rid of Frame Relay, Its possible the next version of CCNP will follow suit. For that reason, I'm not placing a ton of my investment on equipment to support it. That part of my studying will be practiced for a few hours on a rack rental. This allowed me to upgrade my physical labs with an esxi server that I can run CSR1000v routers on. So far its been a fun weekend playing with it all. I highly recommend if its your approach. I got the idea from INE's lab topology, and I had a spare desktop with an Intel i5 and 16Gig of RAM to try it out. I'm already dreaming of building one with 2 to 3 times the ram capacity for more routers.
  • Hawk321Hawk321 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes I thought that too....curious for me is....I find still labs with ISL trunking.
    What recommendations do guys have to buy?
    VIRL is actually a nogo, eventually skip router hardware and do it all with GNS3 and keep my switches for the SWITCH Exam?
    Degree in
    some other certs...

Personally, I think the days of needing physical gear for most topics outside of switching is nearing its end now that virtual images are part of the production offerings. Its now easy to install and lab ASAv, WLCv, ISE, and 8 routers on an Intel NUC with 32 Gig of Ram all running at the same time. Total invest is $6-700 new, and that one NUC will provide the ability to Lab most of the CCNP R&S, Security, Wireless topics based on a scan of the blue prints. With that said: When I studied for the CCNA Security last year, I used a 2811 and an ASA 5505 to practice the topics along with INE's course. I didn' know about the ability to virtualize the ASA back then though.
    OK,...virtualize a whole ASA incl. FirePower Services??? Tell me more.

My 1921 seems useless without expensive HWICS....cheapest deal is 2 * 130$....I considering to buy a 3rd 1841 plus 2 WIC-2Ts just to fullfill the CCNA Sec lab form cisco and keep the 1921 for everything non wic stuff.

I rebuilt an entire campus lan with all 3 layers a couple of month ago...noticed, that I need even more hardware to build a crossed failover connection with a router ...if it is based on a standard ethernet cable. What happens if your router has "only" 2 Ethernetports? Right...buy more!
    Degree in
    some other certs...

• instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Hawk321 wrote: »
    OK,...virtualize a whole ASA incl. FirePower Services??? Tell me more.

My 1921 seems useless without expensive HWICS....cheapest deal is 2 * 130$....I considering to buy a 3rd 1841 plus 2 WIC-2Ts just to fullfill the CCNA Sec lab form cisco and keep the 1921 for everything non wic stuff.

I rebuilt an entire campus lan with all 3 layers a couple of month ago...noticed, that I need even more hardware to build a crossed failover connection with a router ...if it is based on a standard ethernet cable. What happens if your router has "only" 2 Ethernetports? Right...buy more!

If your router has only 2 ethernetports, what's wrong with using sub-interfaces and putting a switch in-between it and its neighbor?

The bonus is that you get router-on-a-stick practice built-in:
    FastEthernet0/0/1.10 - 192.168.10.1/24
    FastEthernet0/0/1.20 - 192.168.20.1/24
    FastEthernet0/0/1.30 - 192.168.30.1/24
    ... and so on.

I do have some physical routers and switches, but I also use EVE-NG, GNS3, and ESXi as labbing platforms. It's just whichever is more convenient to utilize.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
    I think you may be too caught up on the serial interface and frame relay portion of the topics too much when its only a small portion of the blueprint. Connecting all of the equipment you have should give you more than enough capacity to learn eigrp, ipv6, ospf, stp, etc by using the fastethernet and gig ports.
    Ok, I ordered a new/used 1841 with 1 WIC-1T and 1 HWICH-1T plus a separate HWIC-1T for my 1921 plus cable. Anyone know if I can connect HWIC 1T to WIC 1T ???

For the CCNP Track I got 500 INE Tokens ...they use frame relay for Area 0. Everything else should be fine by now
    Degree in
    some other certs...