How useful is VBScripting in today's Microsoft Windows environment?

chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
We know Microsoft invested heavily and pushing all out for Powershell, but just my curiosity that how useful VB Scripting still is today? What's your opinion?

Comments

• jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    From an objective point of view, VB has its place.

From a personal point of view, it is a horrible language to code in, so I stay as far away from it as possible.
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    Oh I see, thank you.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I use it a lot in my current role because I became SOMEWHAT proficient. It's an easy move to VBA when developing programs for my own sanity.
  • alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you have to choose, learn PowerShell first. However, you will run into VB script plenty so knowing it won't hurt you. We used VB a lot where I used to work and only started porting stuff to PS when it made sense. .hta scripts also come to mind since they can be kinda handy once in awhile.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    2nd learning Powershell. It is the future of Windows automation. So much easier to integrate with AD than VBScript. VBScript had its place back in the 90's but in modern tech, Powershell ftw!
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would not spend time learning vb from scratch for Windows automation.

If you become an expert working with Powershell objects and PowerShell scripting in general, it is not a huge burden when you have to work with a one-off vB script for a special use case. But those use cases that really require vB are becoming few and far between.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...