Options

Don't use the Exam Cram Book

boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
Been reading this book to prepare for the A+ (luckily I have a ton of A+ related experience from the Navy and I have a Net+). It completely misses any information on printers. Luckily I am using the Prof. Messer videos so it won't be an issue but overall I didn't like the book. I was checking out the Wendell Odom books at Barnes and Noble last night and the Mike Meyer's books are more informative IMO.

Oh the Wendell Odom books are better for the CCNA (for me) than the Lammle books (which I've been using) as a side note for anyone going to WGU as well.
Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.

Comments

• Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I passed the A+ using the ExamCram book, but this was 15 years ago, also I had 10 experience in IT before taking the exam. I studied the book for two weeks and passed both exams. I can't comment on the quality the books content is now.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    Tolg4Tolg4 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I only used the Exam Cram book from David L. Prowse and passed both tests first try after studying the book and using the practice exams coming with the book.
    I had no prior experience with the material covered and was not really surprised by the questions on the exams apart from some unrelated ones...
  • Options
    boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been scoring high on practice exams however I have been building computers since I was a kid, have taken programming classes in both college and high school and I have been an avid PC gamer since 13. So it's not really a fair assessment. The book really just wasn't a fit for I like Mike Meyer's style a lot better.
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • Options
    ScyphnScyphn Member Posts: 51 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just because the book didn't work for you doesn't mean you can just discredit it ya know
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I used the exam cram to pass the A+ exam many moons ago.

I did go through the Mike Meyers book along with the Exam Cram.

The exam cram was great because it had a tear out sheet of all the high level things you needed to know for the exam. I made note cards based off this tear out sheet.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Scyphn wrote: »
    Just because the book didn't work for you doesn't mean you can just discredit it ya know

Agreed.

I also used this book in recent months and passed both exams on the same day. It doesn't do much for the simulation type questions but that's where ITpro.TV helped me out. Messer's videos and study sheets were also essential.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Scyphn wrote: »

Nothing wrong with giving recommendation on study materials that worked for you. Also the exam changed a bit since I took it, it was a technical exam before, now they ask you customer service questions as part of the exam. If they want to create a customer service certification fine, but keep those kind of questions out of other exams.

What I really need is a book that explains women, because they still mystify me.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    Falls_TechFalls_Tech Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I also used Exam Cram to pass both the 901 and 902. As a matter of fact the day before the exam all I studied were the exam alerts highlighted in black. And I also liked the tear out notes. I'll tell ya what is even better, the Exam Cram 'question book' containing 4 exams for each test. All of Professor Messers stuff was good also. Get his pdf question book. You won't find a better bang for your buck.