sec+ second try 5 September 2017

marylandguymarylandguy Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello All,

I am trying to take this exam the second time around. First time, bombed out because I did not study hard enough. also, did not have enough sleep the night before and drank coffee the morning of the exam. big mistake. Failed the exam 650.

Will let everyone know the result after the exam.

Comments

• hylaabhylaab Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck. Have a good night sleep this time around.
  • leboratoricalleboratorical Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck - you're better armed and better educated. You can't control how much sleep how much you will actually have the night before, but you can do everything possible to give you the opportunity to sleep well.

Sounds like you have put in a lot more prep - it'll pay off.
  • marylandguymarylandguy Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for replying.

also, in addition to a good sleep. Will have a big bowl of oatmeal a couple of hour before the exam. Hope other people will follow.:)w.:)
  • ScyphnScyphn Member Posts: 51 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • leboratoricalleboratorical Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oats are great for slow burn carbs... They'll keep releasing energy into the system for hours.
    It will probably give me more energy and focus to get thru me the time test. Last time, I had bagel with coffee. For me, it made more stress and so could not focus but speeding through the exam. By speeding the thru the exam, I read questions quickly withou much thought. This is my strategy. Not sure it will work this time.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Try to exercise before you go, that helps so much to relieve the stress. Good luck.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • ScyphnScyphn Member Posts: 51 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh, didn't know that! Thanks!
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    also, did not have enough sleep the night before and drank coffee the morning of the exam.

People are now blaming coffee for failing exams? icon_surprised.gif

Good luck.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

Hey People,
    I passed this morning with a score of 761. I thought it was really hard with some of the questions. I used Daryl Gibson book and online practice exams for 2 straight weeks.I also watched many of Professor Messer study group Videos.it paid off after failing it at the beginning of August.so what next ? Network+ or CISSP.
  • atippettatippett Member Posts: 154
    Neither. CISSP will be too difficult for you right now and CCNA is much better than the Network+.
  • PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Network+ is good as a vendor-neutral training.
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • MIMEMIME Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations to you. Maybe it was the ten in a row performance based questions I had but like you I did not think the exam was particularly easy. What's next for you? IMHO it all depends on what direction you want to take your career. The CISSP has some work experience requirements which depending on your situation may be a factor. Also the CISSP is more management oriented where many other certs are more technical. Take a look at postings for your dream job and figure out which certs will best help you in that goal and go from there.
  • jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    CISSP is a big jump from Security+, but it is a good goal. If that is your goal, I would go for the Network+ and the Project+.

Network+ - Gives a great foundational platform on networking concepts. Plus it builds on the Security+ in many ways.
    Project+ - Not necessarily a "technical" cert, but it will break you into things like ALE, ARO, SLE, etc. Those come up on the CISSP, and this will get your feet wet.

After those, you could certainly go for CCNA. It is a valuable cert, and you really can't go wrong with it. But, with regards to a CISSP direction, it has little value. There is way too much Cisco oriented detail to be generally practical. ON the other hand, if networking is your thing, CCNA all the way.

With Sec+/Net+/Project+ under your belt, you will at least be ready to study for the CISSP. You will know a common language, and won't be having to learn everything from a baseline of nothing.

My $0.02. Hope it helps.
  • Captain_DeadpoolCaptain_Deadpool Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey People,
    I passed this morning with a score of 761. I thought it was really hard with some of the questions. I used Daryl Gibson book and online practice exams for 2 straight weeks.I also watched many of Professor Messer study group Videos.it paid off after failing it at the beginning of August.so what next ? Network+ or CISSP.

Congrats on the pass!

I don't have CISSP or Net +, however i'd recommend Net + if you're looking for a quick cert to get. Should fairly straight forward since you have Sec + and understand CompTIA terminology.