Options

Passed CISSP 02/09/2017 | Tips for preparation

SonofLibertySonofLiberty Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

First of all, yes, it's a very tough exam, because your brain starts to melt after first 50-100 of "What is the MOST", "What is the BEST", "What is the LEAST appropriate" -like questions.
You have to make critical decisions, clock is ticking and no answer is 100% incorrect. Close to reality, isn't it?

Here are couple of preparation tips:

1) Schedule exam NOW if you really want to take it. This will help you concentrate on your goal and follow the schedule.
2) Avoid official book. There are plenty of books that have information prepared in much better and more compact way (see following).
3) Avoid CCcure. You still won't find any tests that are close to the real exam, so there's no need to waste additional 60-something bucks. Use official app instead which is way cheaper and more convenient to use (especially if you prepare in transport on your way home)
4) Human life first and think like a manager. Write this words on your erasable pad right after you entered testing room. When you have no idea how to answer particular question, look at these words.

Here's how I prepared (in exact order):

1) Cybrary videos from Kelly. As mentioned by other guys here, one of the best free piece of information that you can ever find in your life: https://www.cybrary.it/course/cissp/

2) Eric Cohrad CISSP 3rd edition. From start to end can be done in one week with 2h/day. https://www.amazon.com/CISSP-Study-Guide-Third-Conrad/dp/0128024372

3) Passed all the domains from https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.learnzapp.wileycissptests&hl=en. Ensure that you get at least 80% in all domains. Then make a real exam simulation (250 questions) to experience what you'll get on the real exam. Even though this testbank is the best IMO, don't expect questions to be any close to the real exam ones.

4) One day before the exam: refresh your mind with beautiful "Sunflower PDF":
https://www.studynotesandtheory.com/single-post/Organized-Sunflower-CISSP-Notes
Not so long ago it was updated to 8 domains. Thanks for everyone who participated in writing this summary.

For me this was pretty much enough to be confident (together with 6 years experience in IT Security).

Good luck to everyone!

Comments

• Options
    Couple more things to mention:

1) Take breaks otherwise you won't survive. I took 3 breaks (first one after 150 questions, second one - after 200 questions, third one - before reviewal process)
    2) TIme is your friend, not enemy. 6 hours is MORE than enough for everything, don't be in a hurry.
  • Options
    sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats and your points were well articulated. Thanks
  • Options
    averageguy72averageguy72 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    CISSP / CCSP / CCSK / CRISC / CISM / CISA / CASP / Security+ / Network+ / A+ / CEH / eNDP / AWS Certified Advanced Networking - Specialty / AWS Certified Security - Specialty / AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional / AWS Certified SysOps Administrator - Associate / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate / AWS Certified Developer - Associate / AWS Cloud Practitioner
  • Options
    DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats SonofLiberty!

I'm planning to write the exam in just 2 weeks or so I'm just I'm getting down to the point where I'm reviewing my notes and making sure that I cover my gaps in my learning. Do you did you use the Eric Conrad's 11th Hour in your study even though you read the CISSP 3rd Edition? Thanks!
  • Options
    DZA_ wrote: »
    Congrats SonofLiberty!

I'm planning to write the exam in just 2 weeks or so I'm just I'm getting down to the point where I'm reviewing my notes and making sure that I cover my gaps in my learning. Do you did you use the Eric Conrad's 11th Hour in your study even though you read the CISSP 3rd Edition? Thanks!

Thank you for your kind words.
    I used Eric's book ONLY and this was pretty enough for me.

Having nothing against ISC2, as I said, official book is not a well-structured material and could be very boring thing to read through. Personally I gave up reading it after couple of first sections.
  • Options
    DZA_, i just reread your question and I think I misunderstood it at first.
    Yes, I used only 3rd edition one, haven't even touched 11hour book.
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    How much total study time did you dedicate to this and what other certifications do you have?
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    sprajwalsprajwal Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How can i go for CISSP certification if i am in penetration testing field, as it covers only one domain of CISSP CBK?
  • Options
    TheRedBar0nTheRedBar0n Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass and thank you for the helpful tips! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!

You're correct, the CBK is hard to get through. It took me almost a week to make it through the first domain. The Sybex book was far easier to read...

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    fumaofumao Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats and thanks a lot the study material
  • Options
    laurieHlaurieH Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I definitely agree that booking the exam is a great way to make sure you keep motivated and do actually end up biting the bullet. However I found the official study guide to be quite good (apart from some repetition).

Doing plenty of practice questions is a good way to both keep checking your knowledge as well as highlighting areas you might be weak in - I agree that there aren't really any that close to the exam but I would suggest trying a few from a variety of sources.
    CCNA - expired
    CISSP - live n' kickin'
    My CISSP study apps
    My CISSP study advice blog
  • Options
    CryptoQueCryptoQue Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    thaiguy314thaiguy314 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you don't mind me asking: what kind of roles have you worked in in IT security? I'm noticing a lot of first time goes typically have a hefty work experience behind them. I'm at 5 years in IT security so this post I pretty encouraging. congrats!
    Certs: CISSP, CEH, CCNA Cyber Ops, Security+
  • Options
    thaiguy314 wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking: what kind of roles have you worked in in IT security? I'm noticing a lot of first time goes typically have a hefty work experience behind them. I'm at 5 years in IT security so this post I pretty encouraging. congrats!

Thank you for your feedback. My experience is focused mostly on Security Operations and Vulnerability Management.
  • Options
    ansionnachclisteansionnachcliste Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations and thanks for posting your advice.

I'm having trouble finding the download link for the Sunflower document on that website. I've found one with the ten domains, but am wondering if this one contains eight?

I'll be sitting the exam at the end of October, so very excited!
  • Options
    Congratulations and thanks for posting your advice.

I'm having trouble finding the download link for the Sunflower document on that website. I've found one with the ten domains, but am wondering if this one contains eight?

I'll be sitting the exam at the end of October, so very excited!

Here's direct link to new Sunflower PDF updated to 8 domains:

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/dc6afa_fc8dba86e57a4f3cb9aaf66aff6f9d22.pdf

Good luck at the Exam.
  • Options
    ansionnachclisteansionnachcliste Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome. Thanks you :)