Do you regularly have relatives visit you in your office?

OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
Do you think it's professional?
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Nope. It doesn't matter if they are relatives or friends. I don't have a fancy office so I can bring people in to see it or talk to me. If it's an emergency, that's an exception; but regularly, not al all....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • steve-o87steve-o87 Member Posts: 274
    I don't, but I do think it is slightly unprofessional. Once in a blue moon can't hurt though. :)

Just by the way - Why do you ask?
    I am the lizard King. I can do anything.
  • OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    steve-o87 wrote:
    I don't, but I do think it is slightly unprofessional. Once in a blue moon can't hurt though. :)

Just by the way - Why do you ask?

Just out of curiosity.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    if I need to talk to a relative or Friend I usually just meet them for lunch

I try to aviod people calling me at work in general
  • jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    Only on bring your child to work day...........
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • jlhctjlhct Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't think it's professional either. Once in a while I can excuse, but if its kids, I think people should watch them and not have them running all over the office. Just because you think your kids are a pleasure to watch doesn't mean that anyone else is responsible for watching or talking to them :)
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Depends on the office. I do it when I need stuff.
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    The only person that visits me in my office is my wife. Maybe 2 times a month. Usually for lunch. This to me is fine as long as she is not showing up when i am on the clock.
  • kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    jlhct wrote:
    I don't think it's professional either. Once in a while I can excuse, but if its kids, I think people should watch them and not have them running all over the office. Just because you think your kids are a pleasure to watch doesn't mean that anyone else is responsible for watching or talking to them :)
    Agree, 100%. One afternoon there were two kids running around our office playing chase or hide-and-seek or something, I wanted to go b*itch-slap the employee that brought them in.
  • ms_visioms_visio Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Olajuwon wrote:

No its not! Even if your relative is working with you in the same company try and keep getting too personal at work surely you can go out with/him for lunch etc.

Real life ex - I have a girl working with me (call her anna - not real name) and her aunty works here as well. So anna is highly unprofessional and she spends majority of her time catching up with friends on phone or in person with her aunty at work.

Additionally she has some serious affair going on with one of our team member so there are rumours all over and no wonder both do not concentrate on work! (which may cause some serious problems if it gets to boss - which i am sure one day will . Problems in terms of if company will hire her in future etc as she is currently on contract).

To cut long story short keep professional life pro and personal life personal! If you try and mix both you will end up somewhere you dont want to!

Getting a job may be hard but i guess keeping it is even harder ;) Good luck :)
    :study:
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Olajuwon wrote:

No.

Why would 'relatives' or 'friends' be visiting anyway? Don't they work?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    My wife have came up to the job, but it was usually for lunch, or she was just in the area. She is still in school, so when she starts working full-time, she won't be able to come up. When I can't get out to get somethign to eat, she would usally bring me something up. I wouldn't have the door to my office open or anything, I would usually close it, eat, conversate a little, then back to work. Other than that, I think it all depends on the type of work and your office. Some offices like visits from the family bringing in cookies or other goodies, or just a slight change of pace...it all depends. Where I work, it's friendly, kind of family oriented, but no instant pop ups of third cousins or kids running around. The type of business (governemnt) is too professional and secure for all of that.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Olajuwon wrote:

No.

Why would 'relatives' or 'friends' be visiting anyway? Don't they work?

That has nothing to do with whether or not they work.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It depends on the environment and circumstance. My last job, it was pretty common, for example, for parents to bring in their newborn to show off and that was not discouraged. At my current job personal visitors are expressly prohibited per the published company handbook.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...