How much time do CCIE DC actually spend in the data center?

SkylinksSkylinks Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Physically in the data center? I've never even seen my primary or secondary datacenters (been with the company more than 9 years), though I have been in my DR datacenter (colocated at a facility that I took some SCOM training at). Working on equipment in the datacenter? Every day
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think that can depend on the company and the persons role that acquired the CCIE DC. Usually CCIE's are used for design work or final tier troubleshooting no real need for the engineers to work in the Data Center. Some companies have dedicated datacenter techs who work on site to work in the DC for patching, installs, or any service work. CCIE DC or the actual datacenter engineer if required may come on site for walk throughs during the preplanning phase. The "engineering" (planning, designing, configured) is usually done outside of the datacenter in their office. That can be case unless if the builds are done within the datacenter at some staging area then in that instance the engineer would be onsite doing the work.

If the company doesn't have a dedicated datacenter tech to do any work onsite the datacenter engineer would be the one doing that work along with the rest of the "engineering" responsibilities. That can be the case for datacenters that are housed within the same company. With that said if the person was already working in the Datacenter at their company and they got a CCIE DC they will continue to do so with either a pat on the back or a bonus if the company provides that.
  • NutsyNutsy Member Posts: 136
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Many engineers don't require the responsibility to be there physically. I know for my last company we had 12 data centers globally and I would never have to touch the equipment or even look at it. We had teams of rack / stack folks available at those sites for that type of work. Now... with my current job I have to do everything, even racking / stacking. Which is a fun change up for me. I am in one of our 2 data centers at least once a month for something. It just depends on the role and the company, no so much the cert.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    That really has nothing to do with having a CCIE or not. It's not like they're checking at the door. It just depends on your job role. Sometimes it just depends on how much you want to go. I can be in the DC ever day if I wanted to. I go maybe 3-4 times a year and even then I don't need to.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • SkylinksSkylinks Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone!
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For those who don't visit the data center, who's doing the grunt work rack/stack new equipment, replacing hardware when a failure occurs? What if the data center has to have an outage to for say a UPS replacement
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MitM wrote: »
    For those who don't visit the data center, who's doing the grunt work rack/stack new equipment, replacing hardware when a failure occurs? What if the data center has to have an outage to for say a UPS replacement
    Most companies don't pay a CCIE to replace hard drives or failed UPS. A decent-sized data center will have some tier-1 people whose job that is.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    As EANx pointed out, lower level DC techs. You can can get three of them to provide around the clock coverage for the price you'd pay one good engineer.

Most larger DCs are going to have a whole crew of people to run power, physical security, remote hands, cabling etc.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    but a locked door keeps anyone from walking up and interrupting you. some headphones on to block out all the noise and you can get a lot of work done.
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    EANx wrote: »
    Most companies don't pay a CCIE to replace hard drives or failed UPS. A decent-sized data center will have some tier-1 people whose job that is.

True, true, good point. my initial thought was based on networker's comment on it has nothing to do with being a CCIE or not. I didn't think of the various company sizes when I posted.

CCIE aside, I'll assume the ones that don't visit often are the "network architects" or "lead network engineer" title type positions
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Shoot, kinda off topic but I got told to leave my door opened on Friday just because some guy in management couldn't bust in the office door. I had it locked so no one just busts in and interrupts me while I'm doing stuff that could bring down the whole school.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****