Skipping CCENT

ChilltechChilltech Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Sorry for the stupid question, but I'm a little confused. I was wondering if it was possible to skip the CCENT and go straight for CCNA Sec? If it is possible would you guys recommend it?

Comments

• Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    No you can't. And even if you could, without extensive networking knowledge you would never pass the security exam without fundamental knowledge.

Non ccna route exams are considered ccnp level
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sure, you could skip the CCENT and get the CCNA R&S and then go for the CCNA Sec. Or if your feeling up for it just go straight for one of the CCIEs and then get your CCNA Sec. Might be easier just to get the CCENT over getting one of the CCIEs though. Or at least that is a rumor I've been told.

Only ways I believe you can skip the CCENT...
  • duta74duta74 Member Posts: 143 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Chilltech wrote: »
    Sorry for the stupid question, but I'm a little confused. I was wondering if it was possible to skip the CCENT and go straight for CCNA Sec? If it is possible would you guys recommend it?
    If you have relevant network knowledge, you can go straight to any CCNA certification, not required to have a CCENT.
    He wants to go straight to ccna secuirty, not r&s. The prerequisite for that either ccent or ccna r&s
    duta74 wrote: »
    If you have relevant network knowledge, you can go straight to any CCNA certification, not required to have a CCENT.

No you cannot. Prerequisite for any non r&s ccna is either: ccent, ccna r&s or ccie
    Welly_59 wrote: »
    No you cannot. Prerequisite for any non r&s ccna is either: ccent, ccna r&s or ccie
    Hmm, my fault, CCNA Security have Prerequisites, but not any CCNA have Prerequisites.
    For full clarity:
    CCNA Service Provider, CCNA Cloud, CCNA Collaboration, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCNA Data Center, CCNA Routing and Switching - doesn't have Prerequisites
    CCDA, CCNA Industrial, CCNA Security, CCNA Wireless - have Prerequisites

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/training-events/training-certifications/certifications/associate.html
  • ChilltechChilltech Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone for clearing it up for me. It looks like I'll have to put the CCNA Security on hold. I was hoping I could knock it out before starting the OSCP, but it looks like I will need to take R&S first.
    If you are on Pentesting way(eJPT, OSCP), I think you don't need CCNA Security, because it is more Cisco hardware security(Switches, Firewalls).
    From Cissco certification CCNA Cyber Ops is more relevant for you
    The na level exams which don't require a prerequisite all consist of 2 exams. So in reality the prerequisite is the first exam in the track
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welly_59 wrote: »
    The na level exams which don't require a prerequisite all consist of 2 exams. So in reality the prerequisite is the first exam in the track

You can get the CCNA R&S in one exam with out a prereq. icon_wink.gif
  • ChilltechChilltech Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    duta74 wrote: »
    If you are on Pentesting way(eJPT, OSCP), I think you don't need CCNA Security, because it is more Cisco hardware security(Switches, Firewalls).
    From Cissco certification CCNA Cyber Ops is more relevant for you

Ya I was looking at the CCNA Cyber ops, but I don't think it will really teach me anything I haven't already learned from the Security+,eJPT, and the upcoming OSCP. I'll have to keep an eye on it and see what people think of it. It's a relatively new cert if I'm not mistaken.
  • fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Chilltech wrote: »
    Ya I was looking at the CCNA Cyber ops, but I don't think it will really teach me anything I haven't already learned from the Security+,eJPT, and the upcoming OSCP. I'll have to keep an eye on it and see what people think of it. It's a relatively new cert if I'm not mistaken.

I was thinking about getting the CCNA Cyber Ops until I saw that each test is $300. Yeah, I'll have to pass on that for now.
  • waspe3waspe3 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CCENT will let u sit the CCNA R&S or CCNA Security exam. It's the prereq.
  • NuclearBeavisNuclearBeavis Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with duta74. CCNA-Sec would be a waste of time for a pen-tester, or for most people in IT security roles. It's more for network admins who need to setup and configure security appliances. On the other hand, if you work in a small shop that does a little bit of everything, and your boss randomly comes in one day and hands you two security appliances to configure for a client, it might be useful.