Passed the GCIH!

fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I passed the GCIH yesterday. It's so nice to be done with it. It was extra stressful knowing I couldn't afford $1600 for another exam retake. My heart was beating extra fast when when I clicked submit on the last question of the test. Even the questions that I knew I knew, I still looked most of them up cause I didn't wanna risk it. I got an 83. Was really hoping I could get a 90 but I'll take it.

About a week after the class I made my index. I took a practice test and got a 64. I made note of everything question I got wrong and couldn't find in the books. Then I went through and found all of the wrong answers in the books and updated my index. A couple weeks later I took another practice test and got a 78. Again I made note of everything and updated my index. I paid for another practice test and got an 94. On the third practice test I ran into a lot of repeat questions which made me sad.

When it was done, my index had 454 entries. After taking the test, I realized my index could've been a lot better. I didn't make note of a lot of the smaller things on the pages. I mostly just made notes of the information that was on the slides on the page. The test had a lot of questions where the answers were in the fine print of the pages and not in the big print in the slides.

Also, make sure to take the Windows and Linux **** sheets. Somehow I forgot those and there were definitely a good amount of questions where I needed them and hated myself for forgetting them.

If I had to do it again, I'd read every page a lot more carefully, study a bit more, and make a better index.

I really enjoyed taking the course but the amount of information was insane. Thanks to everyone here for the information.

Comments

• sb97sb97 Member Posts: 109
    Congratulations on the pass. I know your goal was 90 but 83 is still a darn good score. What is next for you?
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sb97 wrote: »
    Congratulations on the pass. I know your goal was 90 but 83 is still a darn good score. What is next for you?

Thanks. I'm not sure. I was gonna go for the Cisco Cyber Ops until I found out both tests are $300. I got the CEH earlier this year also. Part of me feels like maybe I should try to sharpen/learn some pen testing/security skills. Either that or I'll go for the CCENT. Not sure.
  • fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Gratz!!

Thanks!
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    fabostrong wrote: »
    I didn't make note of a lot of the smaller things on the pages. I mostly just made notes of the information that was on the slides on the page. The test had a lot of questions where the answers were in the fine print of the pages and not in the big print in the slides.

I made that mistake when I built my first GCIH index, but corrected it after not not passing the practice exams. Live and learn. Congratulations and welcome to the club.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS