BGP network command and routes

Robbo777Robbo777 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
[FONT=&quot]Hi everyone, i'm about 3/4 of the way through the CBTnuggets CCNP route and switch series and they touch on BGP but they don't really get deep into it like they do with OSPF and EIGRP etc... I'm not sure how much i actually need to know about BGP for the exam yet or if it's as widely focused on in the exam. But i have seen a couple of config videos including theirs and read some Cisco articles and have the jist down, however, in this video for example:[/FONT]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqTFyuiq9bg
[FONT=&quot]Keith over at CBT Nuggets goes through basically the same setup as in the official CBT CCNP route and switch series and i have noticed that those two different AS seem to pass routes across without any network command or anything really other than setting up a neighbor, how can this be. I know BGP does auto-summary by default and not sure if he's switched it off in those videos, but it kind of baffled me this.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Again, i'm no where near as versed in BGP as i am in IGP so i'm wondering if anyone has an explanation and some advice on the exam in terms of BGP content and how relevant it is.[/FONT]

Comments

• bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    Hi Robbo,

I sat the old route exam, but I am sure you will need at least a basic understanding of BGP (how to setup iBGP/eBGP peers), route-reflectors etc.

I have not watched the video, or how far you are in your studies - but for BGP to carry routes that prefix needs to be learnt via an IGP first. If routes are being past in the video between the 2 peers I would say he has either used something like 'network statement' or route redistribution. Maybe he had already configured this and the video was just to show setting up BGP neighbours?

I am currently going through CCIE studies and it has taken quite a while to understand that BGP is not actually a protocol that routes traffic and operate over TCP and does not have an underlaying protocol by default.

Good luck with your studies!
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • Robbo777Robbo777 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi, thanks for the response. I thought it must have been some kind of already done config in the background which was allowing it to work.
    I was just curious as well how much BGP material was on the exam and how deep does my learning in it have to go?
    Out of the 3 as well, which would you say is the most difficult to least?

Cheers
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    From my examiniation, it did not go that deep (however that may have changed for the new exam). Saying that if you plan to go for your CCIE you will want to have the foundations in place already - will help you further ahead, to be honest that is true for all the topics (IGP's, Switching etc).

Out of the three, I found routing harder, mainly because I was working mostly on switching the time I took it. However, I'd say I am stronger at Routing now due to my day to day job!
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • adrianm68adrianm68 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Tbh I think the CBT Nuggets course is too light across all CCNP subjects. Most people on this forum would agree that you cannot depend on a single source for certification success - even the official FLG, OCG, or even the depth of INE. Don't get me wrong - Jeremy and Keith's courses are my favourites, but I treat them like Jelly Bean introductions before getting to the real detail...

On the outer hand the Cisco Learning Course looks like a fantastic source, but I'm not going to fork out $750 just for route. (Although it would be my preference to failing the exam a couple of times......hmmmm)

Adrian
    2017 Goals: Cisco: [x]Switch [ ]Route [ ]Tshoot

Cisco engineer's command to teach his dog to sit: "no stand"
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My suggestion is not to try to target only "just the amount you need to know" but to learn the topics thoroughly and on a deep level, and then take it even a step further. Look at the blue print as a guideline of the exam and target your studies to that, but do not limit your studies to just that. If the blue print seems vague this where you need to pull from multiple sources and utilize hands-on practice to understand the concepts. It's hard to tell you exactly what you need to know one: because it breaks the NDA, and two: there is no good answer. The certification process should be about discovering unknowns and learning to become a successful and knowledgeable network engineer; not just checking the box on small subjects to obtain a piece of paper that "says" you know something.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • albinorhino187albinorhino187 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm currently studying for my SWITCH exam, and one of the things I might do is jump up to their CCIE course and pick out the videos relevant to the CCNP exam blueprint for the added depth.
    CCIE RS - Written (Goal: July 2019) [ ] Lab [ ]
  • xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Route reflectors are not covered, however you should be aware of BGP Loop prevention at a higher level.

Main things to worry about are BGP Metrics, how and why they should be adjusted where required.
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'll say this too. You don't have to study BGP on a level of expectation for any of the service-provider tracks. However, due to its relevance in the industry, it would be wise to study it well. Like I said use the blue print as a guideline to know where to study deeply.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would get a copy of the Cisco BGP-4 Command and Configuration Handbook. It sells used for under $10 on sites like Amazon. It's from 2001 but BGP hasn't really changed since then. I went through it and used every command in my lab environment.