Options

Where should I start for InfoSec

balaji7590balaji7590 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am 3 years experienced in network security ie worked with proxy(bluecoat) and firewall(palo alto).I have only completed ccna routing and switching and ccna security. And my company started working with nessus vulnerability scanning.
I understood I am working with perimeter security and moving to infosec.

I like to be a security auditing or consultant in future.Please help me to where to start with.
I am not in a hurry to do complete any certificate or jump jobs. Need a guidance for my career.

I have seen few posts which is related to mine but I am confused state only. Because people are not less experienced like me.

with regards,
Balaji

Comments

• Options
    adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
    you start by actually reading this forum.

A good thread might be "Security certification - where to start?"
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sounds like you've already started. Continue to build on your experience and use/do more things related to security.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Let's be more verbose.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/security-certifications/28593-security-certification-where-start.html

First get a generic degree in anything but music, preferably computer science or MIS but something technical. Get several years of good, measurable administrative experience in administration while learning some BA skills along the way. Find a one year gig as a contract auditor and learn why security reduces the risk and why we do what do in security is IT business rather than IT technical. Then go into risk reduction (aka security).

- b/eads
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    beads wrote: »
    Let's be more verbose.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/security-certifications/28593-security-certification-where-start.html

First get a generic degree in anything but music, preferably computer science or MIS but something technical. Get several years of good, measurable administrative experience in administration while learning some BA skills along the way. Find a one year gig as a contract auditor and learn why security reduces the risk and why we do what do in security is IT business rather than IT technical. Then go into risk reduction (aka security).

- b/eads

Not to thread-jack, but I hear a degree in music can actually lead in some circles to being a CISO one day!
  • Options
    PrivacyPrivacy Banned Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't forget to try and gain some real world business experience too many people in security are pure technical or think the business is just there to be secure and not run and make money.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not to thread-jack, but I hear a degree in music can actually lead in some circles to being a CISO one day!

Then I wonder can all of my security certifications lead to me becoming head of a record company some day. Things that make you go hmmm.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS