Upgrading....

jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
I am sure that this has been asked, but the terms are so common that I haven't had much luck searching the forum.

I currently have my MCSE 2003 with Security and Messaging concentrations.

Is there an upgrade path available, or am I better off just starting from scratch?

I know there used to be an upgrade path, but at this point I can't find a straight answer.

For bonus points:

I also have my MCDBA (SQL 2000), MCTS: SQL Server 2005, and MCITP: SQL Server 2005. Any update path for those?

Thanks for any insight you can offer!

Comments

• PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You should be able to take the 70-417 to upgrade to MCSA 2012. I don't believe there is a direct upgrade path to a current MCSE.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/learning/exam-70-417.aspx
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you login to your MCP account and select the Certification Planner, when you first login you will see a list of "In Progress" qualifications, which will include things you can upgrade to. Open it up, look at the bottom and choose "All available paths for certification". There should be a "Upgrade requirements", which will list everything you need to do to upgrade to that certification.

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my MCDST to a MCSA: Server 2012 like this.
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The individual exams for MCSA 2012 are quite difficult, which makes the combined 70-417 an absolute beast. Knowing what I know now after taking some of them individually, is that I would definitely take them individually unless I had lots of time to dedicate to studying and plenty of experience with administering all of the different server roles using Powershell and GUI.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...