Solaris 11 OCA 1z0-821

jcp1856jcp1856 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
Since there isn't a thread on here for this exam I figured I'd start one. I'm currently studying for this bad boy and i'm using the Ernest Solaris 11 OCA book from Oracle Press and Watters Solaris 11.3 book along with some test engines.

Feel free to comment if you're studying for it as well and what path you're taking to study.

Comments

• kimmo88kimmo88 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm studying for 1z0-821 as well! At the moment, I'm reading "Oracle Solaris 11 System Administration Handbook" by Foxwell and Foster.
  • jcp1856jcp1856 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cool! Do you work with Solaris a lot? How do you find the studying? Difficult?Easy?
    I used Solaris 8 before but it's already EOL(End-Of-Life). I'm also reading "OCA Solaris 11 System Administration 1z0-821 Exam guide" by Ernest.
  • lovejoilovejoi Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Guys can you write what kind of jobs you have that you using Solaris in it .
    lovejoi wrote: »
    Guys can you write what kind of jobs you have that you using Solaris in it .

sure...a good n lol. i'm a Solaris SA....wok with S10 and we are moving the S10 boxes to11.
    jcp1856 wrote: »
    sure...a good n lol. i'm a Solaris SA....wok with S10 and we are moving the S10 boxes to11.

Based on what I read, there is no automatic upgrade path from Solaris 10 to 11 due to mandatory ZFS on Solaris 11. So, upgrade has to be done manually!
    kimmo88 wrote: »
    Based on what I read, there is no automatic upgrade path from Solaris 10 to 11 due to mandatory ZFS on Solaris 11. So, upgrade has to be done manually!

yes that part is fun lol. Has anyone sat for 1z0-821 yet?
    Just finished reading these books by Oracle Press are really good! icon_thumright.gif

"Oracle Solaris 11 System Administration Handbook" by Foxwell and Foster.
    "OCA Solaris 11 System Administration 1z0-821 Exam guide" by Ernest.
    Just finished reading these books by Oracle Press are really good! icon_thumright.gif

"Oracle Solaris 11 System Administration Handbook" by Foxwell and Foster.
    "OCA Solaris 11 System Administration 1z0-821 Exam guide" by Ernest.

cool. have you taken the exam yet?
    cool. have you taken the exam yet?

Not yet, I still need to play around with Solaris 11.3 on my VMWare workstation and do some practice tests before the exam.
    Since there isn't a thread on here for this exam I figured I'd start one. I'm currently studying for this bad boy and i'm using the Ernest Solaris 11 OCA book from Oracle Press and Watters Solaris 11.3 book along with some test engines.

Feel free to comment if you're studying for it as well and what path you're taking to study.

What kind of test engines you have? I have a few free ones that are already outdated.
    What kind of test engines you have? I have a few free ones that are already outdated.

i'm using the one that comes with the oracle book. I haven't found any good ones either
    now, saying that, you can do the brain **** route but that's on you entirely. I don't condone their use
    QnAs help to reinforce your learning and hone-in on a particular topic. It's not enough to read books and practice on a test machine to pass the exam. Of course ideally, some real world experience supporting Solaris 11 on SPARC T or M series i.e. migration of S10 to S11, system updates via IPS from SRU, etc but unfortunately I don't have that privilege at the moment.
    I've found that there is a gulf between what's in the books and what's covered in a good test engine
    Yeah, reading books is not good enough to pass the exam. You need a good test engine to reinforce your learning by referencing QnAs to books or to Oracle's documentation website and also test command lines on your Solaris 11 VM.