Starting the journey to the MCSE

Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
I'm finally starting the journey to the MCSE now that I have had some time to relax and unwind after the Master's degree. This is more of a personal achievement that I would like to obtain. I'm sure the ROI will be great on this certification. However, I am moving more into management as I moved up to a Systems Admin which is actually more of an IT Manager in terms of my actual job role.

I have a lot of experience with AD, GPO, and Windows Server in general. Since, I completed the MCSA in the past this helps my familiarity. The goal is to be done by next June around my performance review timeframe.

Let the study and faith journey begin!!
*Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
*Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63

Comments

• stunnedsoupstunnedsoup Member Posts: 120
    Awesome man! I plan to keep tabs on this thread to see your progress.

I have to ask, what path/exams are you planning to take?

Best of luck!
    Cisco: CCENT COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR CCNA COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR || MCSE: 70-410 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-411 [ ] 74-409 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-534 [ ] || VMWare: VCP [ ]
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can do it!
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome man! I plan to keep tabs on this thread to see your progress.

I have to ask, what path/exams are you planning to take?

Best of luck!

I plan to take the 70-410/411/412 then either 413 or 414 depending on which one I prefer. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    markulous wrote: »
    You can do it!

Thanks bud!! :)

I plan to take the 70-410/411/412 then either 413 or 414 depending on which one I prefer. :)

Good deal! Sorry, I totally missed where you noted this in your sig.

Happy studying!
    Cisco: CCENT COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR CCNA COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR || MCSE: 70-410 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-411 [ ] 74-409 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-534 [ ] || VMWare: VCP [ ]
  • Eightn9neEightn9ne Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    All the best mate!

This is on my bucket list as a personal achievement as well. I never went to uni though so me obtaining an MCSE would be an achievement that I'd be pretty proud of.

People that aren't in IT may not know what an MCSE is but I guess we IT folks in this forum do know what it is and how damn hard it is to obtain (well, it's a journey for me at least)!

All the best for the both of us mate!
    Eightn9ne wrote: »
    All the best mate!

This is on my bucket list as a personal achievement as well. I never went to uni though so me obtaining an MCSE would be an achievement that I'd be pretty proud of.

People that aren't in IT may not know what an MCSE is but I guess we IT folks in this forum do know what it is and how damn hard it is to obtain (well, it's a journey for me at least)!

All the best for the both of us mate!

Indeed!! :)

• malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck!

I started mine last month after achieving MCSA in Windows 10. But Im going down the Server 2016 route.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

Nice!! Best of luck to you :)

I did consider the Server 2016 route but I don't see enough Windows Server 2016 environments as of now so I figure I can always take the one upgrade exam if necessary down the road.

• pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    All the best guys, plan to be starting that track as well from September. I will be tracking your progress and possibly probing you for info :)
    God deserves my best
  • PantherPanther Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice! Was your Master's online? Which school/program? I see WGU has Master's IT Management. Congrats by the way!

I'm thinking of a similar path, from 10+ years in tier 1 and 2 support.

Something management/sysadmin.
    I'm finally starting the journey to the MCSE now that I have had some time to relax and unwind after the Master's degree. This is more of a personal achievement that I would like to obtain. I'm sure the ROI will be great on this certification. However, I am moving more into management as I moved up to a Systems Admin which is actually more of an IT Manager in terms of my actual job role.

I have a lot of experience with AD, GPO, and Windows Server in general. Since, I completed the MCSA in the past this helps my familiarity. The goal is to be done by next June around my performance review timeframe.

Let the study and faith journey begin!!
    Panther wrote: »
    Nice! Was your Master's online? Which school/program? I see WGU has Master's IT Management. Congrats by the way!

I'm thinking of a similar path, from 10+ years in tier 1 and 2 support.

Something management/sysadmin.

Online at WGU - MS - IT Management!! icon_thumright.gif

• greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Excellent ! just give me a buzz if u need any exams study tips Brother.........I know you will do well.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
    greg9891 wrote: »
    Excellent ! just give me a buzz if u need any exams study tips Brother.........I know you will do well.

Thanks brother will do!!

I just started reviewing videos and taking practice exams to see what areas I need to brush up on as a lot of it's familiar territory. Some new stuff but nothing too bad. :)

Books/Materials I am using for my studies:

-Microsoft Official Press Books (70-410, 411,412,413/414)
    -Sybex: Mastering Windows Server 2012 R2
    -CBT Nuggets/PluralSight/YouTube

I am about halfway through the pluralsight videos. Seems like mostly review from 2008 material with the exception of all the powershell stuff.
    I read through Ch 1 of the MS press so nothing too heavy as yet.

I also have the Sybex and the Don Poulton so am thinking that I will read those books alongside the MS Press to go deeper and of course follow up with some technet.
    God deserves my best
    pizzaboy wrote: »
    I am about halfway through the pluralsight videos. Seems like mostly review from 2008 material with the exception of all the powershell stuff.

I also have the Sybex and the Don Poulton so am thinking that I will read those books alongside the MS Press to go deeper and of course follow up with some technet.

Great plan!! So far lots of review indeed from the MS Press from '08 with PowerShell being the exception memorizing those cmdlets.. icon_lol.gif

New update: Halfway through MS Press book. I will start labs soon then doing lots of practice exams. I'm hoping to schedule first exam by end of October/beginning of November. :)

• Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□

I'm on the same road. Half way on the pluralsigh videos for the 70-411 . I know watching the videos and doing the lab has always helped me. I give myself other 1 month to take the exam.

Being a little scare on taking the 411 for the first time. I know taking the 410 it took me a while to pass but never gave up.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
    What I especially liked about the videos is the fact that both those guys are in love with powershell. So everything they can do with powershell they demonstrate.
    I've been delinquent with the reading (been having too much fun with the videos), so it's back to that now that the videos are over.

Only halfway through CH2 icon_sad.gif need to get cracking!!
    God deserves my best
    We're all making progress that's what counts!! The book gets dry at times tho but what tech book doesn't to an extent... icon_lol.gif

They usually are but when the topic is interesting and something I've never touched before I get excited. CH2 is basically reviewing WDS using MDT2013 etc. Maybe when I play around with the new powershell commands it will liven things up.
    God deserves my best
  • usman4673usman4673 Member Posts: 115
    @Dakinggamer87: Nice to see you going after MCSE. All the best! I have sent you a PM, please reply whenever you can.
    Update: Scheduling at the end of November the 70-410 exam so practice test time and review of PowerShell commands!! :)

All the best.
    God deserves my best
    All the best.

Thanks man :)

Good deal! Best of luck. Hoping you can knock this out before Thanksgiving. That way you can relax for a bit!
    So an update my plan was to take it before Thanksgiving but we know life happens lol.. So I pushed it to end of January for the first of the four exams due to having VDI training in December on VMware Horizon and building a new data center. I will be leading the project on the software and hardware implementation and architecture of the diagrams!!

So I am excited about that but I still plan to study for the MCSE. I feel an extra month would be good to give me enough time to have a buffer in between projects.

February 10th is the day I attack this exam in the test center!! icon_thumright.gif

• Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Man good luck and keep us posted.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*