Options

LPI Linux Essentials

ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
Sorry if this is the wrong place, did not really know where else to put in. This is not an exam I would normally take as I am not going down a Linux path, however it is part of a degree I am considering. How difficult is this exam compared to the standard A, N and S+ exams?
2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!

Comments

• Options
    airzeroairzero Member Posts: 126
    It's a much easier exam. It's very basic and just meant to get you familar with general linux knowledge. I studied for two days and passed with no problem.
  • Options
    What did you use to study?
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
  • Options
    boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    wow really, how about LPI2???
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • Options
    Infosec85Infosec85 Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you have no knowledge of Linux and just getting started you will need to put the work in and treat this like any other certification.

Linux Essentials isn't much different from the LX0-103 exam it practically covers the same stuff with the 103 going into more detail on certain areas.

I would work hard for the certification from experience, and sitting this exam myself in the past and coming at it being a complete linux noob I can tell you it is not a walk in the park.
  • Options
    airzeroairzero Member Posts: 126
    I just used the cbtnuggets course for it, i think it's about 6 hours or so. I took notes and made flashcards of those notes that mapped to the exam objectives then studied for aboit a week. As Infosec85 said, it definitley depends on experience but i would say for a total noob two weeks should be plenty of time to study. Just use a vm with CentOS or Ubuntu and practice the commands covered in the objectives.
  • Options
    mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am currently studying for the Comptia Linux Plus test but the opportunity come up for me to take the LPI Linux Essentials test next month so I took it. I am curious to see how I do with the studying I have done thus far ?
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • Options
    jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Easiest to most difficult:

1. Linux Essentials

2. Linux+ / LPIC-1

3. LPIC-2

The Linux Essentials is less difficult than the first half of the Linux+/LPIC-1 cert (LXO-103).

Personally, I would use the LXO-103 materials to study. Linux Academy seems to be the most popular. I had good luck with the uCertify material, and LabSim is also a great way to practice.

@boxerboy1168, LPIC-2 is definitely harder than all of the above. It assumes you have at least LPIC-1 knowledge and dives deeper across everything.
  • Options
    SvobodaSvoboda Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jibtech wrote: »
    Easiest to most difficult:

1. Linux Essentials

2. Linux+ / LPIC-1

3. LPIC-2

The Linux Essentials is less difficult than the first half of the Linux+/LPIC-1 cert (LXO-103).

Personally, I would use the LXO-103 materials to study. Linux Academy seems to be the most popular. I had good luck with the uCertify material, and LabSim is also a great way to practice.

@boxerboy1168, LPIC-2 is definitely harder than all of the above. It assumes you have at least LPIC-1 knowledge and dives deeper across everything.
    Very helpful. Thanks as these are a couple I've been considering.
  • Options
    @jibtech - Thanks for the info. I looked up Linux Academy and it looks like it has a lot of good info. It even has Linux Essentials and at $20 a month is very reasonable.