simulators & study materials for CCNA Security Lab

mritorto2mritorto2 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
Guys

Are they any good simulators for the ccna security exam.

can one use an old version of cisco packet tracer.

I have to renew my ccna (Routing &Switching) by june and I am thinking taking the ccna security exam eventually get the CCNP Security

What books do you recomend along with other study material

How long should I study for the exam?

Comments

• albinorhino187albinorhino187 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i used the OCG, CBT nuggets, and boson practice exams. It took me about 1.5 months. I felt extremely rushed, thought I failed after the first 5 questions, and somehow managed to pass by the skin of my teeth.

I was able to sim basically everything using GNS3, but a physical ASA would help quite a bit if you're not able to virtualize it. I don't think packet tracer would be enough, as you'll want the ASA experience.
    CCIE RS - Written (Goal: July 2019) [ ] Lab [ ]
  • mritorto2mritorto2 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    what is OCG?

I dont have the space for a real asa in my basement.

for
    GNS3, don't you need the ios ? which means you need a cisco account right?
  • albinorhino187albinorhino187 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OCG = Official Cert Guide

Cisco has tiny ASA's that are smaller than a laptop. Only a few interfaces, but you can run ASDM on it.
    CCIE RS - Written (Goal: July 2019) [ ] Lab [ ]
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you can swing the price or get your company to pay for it, Cisco's training on it is really good. Videos and labs

https://learningnetworkstore.cisco.com/on-demand-e-learning/implementing-cisco-network-security-iins-v3-0-elt-iins-v3-0-019451

Can't imagine too many pay this on their own tho.
  • mritorto2mritorto2 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    how many hours per day did you study
  • no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm currently studying for this exam. I bought an ASA 5505 on Ebay for $150 and ASDM works great. If your budget allows I'd recommend looking on Ebay for a 5505. I'm also finding Keith Barkers CBT nuggets absolutely fantastic. I'm aiming to take the exam in the next month or so. I am a little disappointed that the exams went up and are now $300 a pop icon_sad.gif
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • hunterthuntert Banned Posts: 231
    networklessons.com has a course for the asa. you can go to netacad.com and signup to take a free class from packettracer and get packettracer for free.