Netwars

TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
Has anyone that took a SANS course attended Netwars? I’m attending SANSFIRE in Washington DC in July and signed up for Netwars. This will be my third SANS course, but my first Netwars experience. Can anyone tell me what it’s like? Would any type of hardware or programs be of benefit to get the most out of the experience? I planning on taking my HP Probook 640 G1 laptop with Win 64 bit, 16 GB memory, VM Workstation Pro version 12 and well as Wireshark. Would any other software be beneficial? Should I take a second laptop with me?
Still searching for the corner in a round room.

Comments

• markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's all you really need. The first two levels are just on the one VM then you're vpning into their stuff. Nothing that system intensive
  • HornswogglerHornswoggler Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    NetWars is fun!!!

Your hardware is fine. Most everything you need will be on the image or their servers (you tunnel into them for level 3).

As for prep, it's very Linux heavy so brush up on that if needed. I had to rely on Google and man pages quite a bit, and now feel 200% more comfortable with linux before taking SANS courses and NetWars. Relax, have fun, and don't over-think it!
    2018: Linux+, eWPT/GWAPT
  • gwood113gwood113 Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Bring a kali vm and an excel spreadsheet to keep track of systems in the environment. NetWars is a blast have fun.
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    NetWars is a thrill, but it's there to really help expose your weaknesses. Enjoy getting caught up in the race, but also understand that it's there to help you understand which areas you fall short on.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    NETWars was a humbling experience, I found it frustrating more than anything, I didn't expect to be anywhere near the top of the score board, since I didn't have any pen test training, but I didn't expect to do so poorly. I was 97 out of 127 players, it pretty much showed me how little I actually know. Sans 610 capture the flag day was even worse, Out of 35 players, I didn't even crack the top 25. I scored about 375, the lowest player on the score board number 25 had over 600 points, and the top player scored over 1800. I strongly suspect that many of the people in the class had prior malware training / experience and where using the course to fill gaps in there knowledge and get certified. I think this exams is going to be far tougher than my pervious two GIAC exams, I'm going to have to really study my butt off to pass this beast.
  • ChicagoCyberChicagoCyber Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Honestly, I was nervous for NetWars. My Linux skills were lacking. It was a fantastic experience. You will get the hel you need from other contestants, google and the NetWars hints.
  • globalenjoiglobalenjoi Member Posts: 104 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Gah, I typed up a longer response but got timed out... Oh well!

I did Netwars when I went for my GCIH back in April and it was a great experience, but very humbling. Luckily, a huge portion of the event were as inexperienced with Linux as I was, so I didn't feel alone.

I'm currently doing Netwars Continous as part of the graduate certificate program. A bit of common-sense advice: read the syllabus. I held off on starting Netwars until after I passed the GCIH exam a few weeks ago. When I started, I used hints as needed because the website recommends it to help learn. However, I overlooked a super-important bit of info in the syllabus: If you're doing Netwars as part of a graduate program, one point will get deducted for each hint used at the end of the course. So while I thought I was doing fine, learning and having fun, I'm now in Level 3, down 30 points in hints, with about 20 points to go until I reach a passing score. I have to be passing within the next 5 days or so, so it's suddenly much more stressful, especially since I'm having to abstain from hints!
    I'm currently doing Netwars Continous as part of the graduate certificate program. .... I'm now in Level 3, down 30 points in hints, with about 20 points to go until I reach a passing score. I have to be passing within the next 5 days or so, so it's suddenly much more stressful, especially since I'm having to abstain from hints!

So if I'm reading this right, if you take netwars continuous, there's a pass / fail scoring system? What do you get if you pass? 12 CPE credits?
  • globalenjoiglobalenjoi Member Posts: 104 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't know if it applies to the normal Netwars Continous program honestly. I've been working on one of the graduate certificate programs through SANS Technology Institute, both to have VA benefits cover training and also because it's cheaper.

I did SEC504 this 'term'.Within the 120 day period, you have to pass the exam, as well as complete Netwars Continous to at least a certain level/point total. I think to get a C in Netwars Continous, you have to reach level 3 and get a minimum of 115 points. At the end of the 'term', they subtract out 1 point for every hint used, a bit of info I overlooked on like page 5 of the syllabus.... So while I'm sitting at 152 points and almost to level 4, I'm barely going to pass because I used around 20-25 points in Level 1, thinking they didn't matter much. Huge mistake considering the difference in difficulty between level 1 and 3.
  • temuchintemuchin Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've done netwars continuous lets me know if you need to be pointed in the right direction.
  • sb97sb97 Member Posts: 109
    Out of curiosity, are you guys talking about core Netwars or DFIR Netwars?
    I did Core Netwars, because it was my first experience with it. But I probably would have done better in DFIR Netwars since most of my knowledge is blue team based. On the other hand, I didn't even get to the point of any pen testing questions while playing, so who knows.
  • sb97sb97 Member Posts: 109
    I was thinking of doing the continuous DFIR NetWars thing next year rather than taking another class of some sort.
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Also take into account that there are people in the netwars who have already played the one you have, or have taken a boatload of sans courses and are more well rounded.

The netwars I was in was filled with people who were on their 7th SANS cert, and people who have been doing this for 20+ years.

Out of 60 teams, we came in 11th place though.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    TechGromit wrote: »
    NETWars was a humbling experience, I found it frustrating more than anything, I didn't expect to be anywhere near the top of the score board, since I didn't have any pen test training, but I didn't expect to do so poorly. I was 97 out of 127 players, it pretty much showed me how little I actually know. Sans 610 capture the flag day was even worse, Out of 35 players, I didn't even crack the top 25. I scored about 375, the lowest player on the score board number 25 had over 600 points, and the top player scored over 1800.

Wow, you did suck! I mean this is really pathetic.

P.S. I have also been humbled by NetWars so welcome to the club! icon_cheers.gif
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS