WGU: Software Development vs. Data Management/Analytics

ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
Guys,
Haven't posted in a very long time, as work and live have been chaotic.
Things are slowing down and I'm looking at getting back to school for my Bachelor. I wanted to see what this forum though of in regards to the Software Development degree and the recently new Data Analytics?
From what I can gather, they both have pretty much the same classes, except things like Java. At any rate, I wanted to see if anybody on here has started either of these paths and what the pros/cons of them may be?
To be honest, I'm really leaning towards the Data Management path, as it seems to have a more focus on databases and such. Plus it may never hurt to have some experience with something that is in the market right now.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
"You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"

Comments

• ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't have any personal experience with these particular two programs, but I think the data analytics route would be an excellent choice simply because there is a huge demand in that area. My wife's former employer works in data analytics and she does VERY well for herself and loves her job. Healthcare is an excellent industry for that field.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yep and software development has huge demand as well. I'd have to look over all the class lists but it would be really odd for the only difference to be java.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am in Business Intelligence and some what Data Analytics.

The number 1 thing you can do to get into this career field and be successful is get a BS in Computer Science. It's the number 1 thing HR departments are looking for, it's the number 1 under grad degree data scientist possess.

It's really the door that kicks in all doors. I would say Math is another good one, but all fall short of CS in regards to data.

I've looked at Data Management programs and they are a shell of MOST CS programs. The only problem is, your aptitude and IQ level. It has been statistically proven within 5% biased that if you are below a minimum threshold the chances of you completing the program is relatively low.

Just noticed you were talking about WGU, I am not sold on their programs..... I was speaking in relation to a top 25 - 50 program. One that will get you noticed and get interviews with the Facebooks of the world.
  • ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the responses guys.

I have been doing as much research as I can, and I do see a lot mentioning Computer Science. However, I am seeing stuff that says that you can still do this without having a CS degree.

I like WGU's style of self-paced, certification, and tuition cost, which is why I have been looking there. Plus I will need to do this online, as I wouldn't have time with my full-time job.

The courses are a bit different, with the Data Analytics working with MongoDB, and R. But it seems to go deeper into the database side. The Software Dev route has you doing more in Java and such. I believe those appeared to be the two differences. Java courses for Software Dev and Data Science courses for Data Analytics.

I will continue to research this, as I would like to make the best decision, but I do appreciate the comments.
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"
    Survey: What Employers Are Looking For in a Business Intelligence Analyst
    “It’s pretty clear that BI is still viewed as a technical field,” Applebaum says. “But in my opinion, it really comes down to three sets of skills: the ability to set up and run the system from a technical standpoint, the ability to understand the business question and translate that business question into analytics, and the ability to understand and consume the results. My guess is that most of these jobs are being sourced for IT departments, hence the emphasis on a computer science degree.”

Sounds like you want to hit the easy button. But your call, I can just provide facts.
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have to agree with DatabaseHead here. Having the right degree is one part of it, but many BI's/Data Analysts typically have years of experience in their industries. It's not only a technical role, you also have to be able to present that data and provide answers, often to executives.

Not saying you shouldn't pursue it though. Everyone has to start somewhere. I suggest seeking out and networking with professionals in this area and picking their brain.
    I'm speaking from real world experience, getting the CS degree will continue to kick doors open. In fact a masters or certification will no longer be required.......

In this field.
    Again, appreciate all the feedback.
    That's what I'm looking for, is people who are in or close to this field to provide me with honest reviews.

Doing some research, I found this degree

computer science - Fort Hays State University

This has a networking and Business emphasis you could work on. From your responses, it sounds like maybe the Business track would be more valuable than the networking?

Thanks again!
    I'd have to do some additional research but that looks good!

You would be a badass with a CS bachelors.

I'd keep on eye on WGU, they are getting some bad press.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/education/article/Audit-calls-for-Western-Governors-University-to-12218962.php?cmpid=email-mobile
    So doing some research on CS degrees yesterday, the two that I am going to get information are on below.

computer science - Fort Hays State University

https://ufonline.ufl.edu/degrees/undergraduate/computer-science/

Both of these are showing up on a number of lists regarding the better CS programs out there. I just need to look through the courses and see which one may fit me the best. I suppose it will also depend on what credits I can transfer in as well.

Thanks for all the responses and helping me look at this differently. I feel that this way may be better than WGU.
    So after checking both of these out, I think I'm going to lean towards the Fort Hayes with the Business emphasis.
    I feel that I have a pretty good grasp of IT, so adding in the CS portion and including some business classes should give me a well rounded set of skills to start my path into Data Science.
    I now this is a long road and I won't just be doing Data Science as soon as I'm done, but it's a start.

Thanks for all the responses.