Options

My self-study strategy, what's your input?

waspe3waspe3 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Background: No IT experience, no prior education in IT related stuff. Pretty good aptitude with computers and typical tech. Graduated with a business degree.

I'm self-studying for the CCNA R&S. A local college is offering a 10 week course for $600 that includes real lab testing and the works. But, since I'm reading all these success stories from self-studying maybe I'll give it a go and pass for a third of the cost or less.

This is my plan:
  • Complete the updated CCNA 2017 200-125 Video Boot Camp With Chris Bryant at Udemy
  • Buy the official study book and follow along, it includes lab exercises right?
  • Use Packet Tracer for lab sims
  • YouTube anything else
This is likely a typical strategy, I was wondering what other input you guys have whether there is something that I can add on here to better augment my studying.

I'm giving myself a 90 day timeline before writing the exam.

Comments

• Options
    NissekiNisseki Member Posts: 160
    Great plan.

You will definitely save a money not going on the college course.

I recommend to get a free trial for Safari Books, full access to multiple books such as the official study book but I highly recommend to give Todd Lammle's book a read.

CBT Nuggets and Plural Sight also offers free trials for their video courses so once you finished with the Udemy course, sign up for CBT nuggets and give them a try.
  • Options
    Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    Read both books- Lammles and Odoms.

Start with lammle as its easier to read and then move onto ODOMS which will in my opinion impart more detailed knowledge onto you
  • Options
    robo78robo78 Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    notes ! a lot of own notes !
    Working on: Linux+
  • Options
    NissekiNisseki Member Posts: 160
    And plenty of labbing on packet tracer.
  • Options
    zepol87zepol87 Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Pretty similiar to my plan. I am adding Laz's course on Udemy as well.

Best of luck to you
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    1. Has pretty good reviews, as does CBT Nuggets or INE.
    2. I can't remember but I thought you have to buy the simulator.
    3. I would look into VIRL.
    4. Lots of resources on youtube.

A 90 day timeline for the CCNA:R&S and no previous experience is probably a little bit aggressive unless you have a lot of time to devote. I would say 2-3 months is reasonable per test (ICND1 and ICND2)...I would avoid the composite exam though since you aren't rectifying (that's who the composite is really made for).

Honestly for $600, that sounds like a reasonable cost for the class. Starting from zero can make self-study quite difficult, especially if you are used to the traditional style of learning.
  • Options
    waspe3waspe3 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Update:

So I ended up buying Odoms ICND1 & 2 Books off amazon a few days ago. I've spent some time in the books and on udemy, and 90 days does seem to be aggressive for the entire 200-125. Instead I'm taking the ICND1 in the same time frame like TechGuru80 suggested, get my CCENT then tackle the CCNA sec or sec + instead of taking the 200-125 since I'm gearing towards info sec specifically. I'd rather learn as much as I can on that sooner and pick up what I've left off later.

I'm making pretty good chapter notes, so that's good.

Is Laz's course on udemy the one that just has 100 lab sims? Because I think I might get that, I feel that's gonna be really import in a few weeks.

To be honest, I thought the chris bryant udemy course would be more in depth. Don't get me wrong, it's really good as it clearly explains the really important stuff but I think its targeted for previous network guys. I'm stopping half way through most vids and referring back to the book for basic things. This is fine, but I hoped what I got from udemy would take care of that as well.

Thanks for all your responses. Appreciate it.