GMON Passed

itcsps4itcsps4 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
I took the GMON exam today and passed; it was a little trickier than expected considering this was my first GIAC exam. I am debating on what training to pursue next.

Any recommendations? I was thinking about either GCWN or GCIH; I lack red team experience so that might be a better choice to go with since it would make myself more well rounded.

Also if anyone needs a GMON Practice Exam I have an extra.

Comments

• the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! I was really impressed with the course and the exam (will agree it was a tough one). It's the only SANS course I have taken so no suggestions for you.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • rscrtrscrt Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

SANS recommends SEC550 - Active Defense, Offensive Countermeasures, and Cyber Deception as a follow-up course and the outline sounds really appealing... but there is no corresponding certification (yet).

Which way do you want to go? If network monitoring, SEC503 (GCIA) is definitely a great one to have. It is one layer underneath the GMON. GCIH is a good one too, althoug rather basic or introductory...
  • supasecuritybrosupasecuritybro Member Posts: 206 ■■■■□□□□□□
    itcsps4 wrote: »
    I took the GMON exam today and passed; it was a little trickier than expected considering this was my first GIAC exam. I am debating on what training to pursue next.

Any recommendations? I was thinking about either GCWN or GCIH; I lack red team experience so that might be a better choice to go with since it would make myself more well rounded.

Great job! I would go with GCIH afterwards. Could I get your extra exam? Planning on taking it after the GPEN.
    Completed: CISSP, GPEN, GWAPT, CCSA R80, eJPT, CySA+, M.S. Information Security
    Current Goal: CCSE
    Continuous Education Plan:​ AWS-SAA, OSCP, CISM
    Book/CBT/Study Material:​ Max Power
  • itcsps4itcsps4 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sure - PM me with your SANS info and ill send it over.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • DJVeritasDJVeritas Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
    itcsps4 wrote: »

Congrats on the pass! How was the exam itself, without giving detail that's against the rules? I'd like the GMON practice exam if you're offering. I am taking the training in April and would like to practice as much as possible.
  • renacidorenacido Member Posts: 387 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just passed the GMON exam today. Regardless of how well recognized the cert may be, I definitely recommend the SEC511 course. This was my first experience with SANS and will not be my last. Expensive training yes, but worth every dime.

You get a ton of actionable takeaways, and it is alsa a much-needed antidote for all the marketing bullshit and faulty assumptions that currently plague the cyber security industry.
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    renacido wrote: »
    ...a much-needed antidote for all the marketing bullshit and faulty assumptions that currently plague the cyber security industry.

+10. Someone please buy this individual a few drinks.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • LWB250LWB250 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    renacido wrote: »
    I just passed the GMON exam today. Regardless of how well recognized the cert may be, I definitely recommend the SEC511 course. This was my first experience with SANS and will not be my last. Expensive training yes, but worth every dime.

You get a ton of actionable takeaways, and it is alsa a much-needed antidote for all the marketing bullshit and faulty assumptions that currently plague the cyber security industry.

Welcome to the club, and congrats! I was in the beta test group for the first cert/test and it was a beast.
  • lostsollostsol Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    GMON vs GCIA? I have the GNFA and would highly recommend FOR572, but looking for a follow up course.
  • itcsps4itcsps4 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just got the nod for my next SANS class; in my current position I handle Security OPS and Engineering. I made blue team my main priority since I enjoy this type of work. Do you think it's worth taking a Red Team class - SANS (SEC560) so I could be more well rounded or should I continue to take another blue team class like SEC 501 or 505 to be more specialized?

I also thought of going for FOR508 since after taking GMON, Forensics + IR would complement each other, or would I need to take FOR500 as a pre-req for 508?
  • supasecuritybrosupasecuritybro Member Posts: 206 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have the GPEN and I would say that knowing Red Team to improve your blue team skills is a must. Without it you are not thinking on both sides.
    Completed: CISSP, GPEN, GWAPT, CCSA R80, eJPT, CySA+, M.S. Information Security
    Current Goal: CCSE
    Continuous Education Plan:​ AWS-SAA, OSCP, CISM
    Book/CBT/Study Material:​ Max Power
  • stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You need to take SEC 504 GCIH before taking 500 or 508,if you follow the road map for certs you would see this is your next cert SANS is trying to establish core set of skills as i am finding out. This is my next cert as well as CISSP . Good Luck
    Free Reading : History Books
  • WsewellWsewell Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So I failed the GMON yesterday. I felt really confident with the material, and enjoyed it.

I took a practice exam two weeks ago, passed that. Took one again the day before the exam, and just could get things to click, don't know why.

I will say the Index they provide you in the wiki is completely off. I'll have to make my own. Still not an excuse.
  • ItrimbleItrimble Member Posts: 221
    Take it again an I am sure you will pass !
    Goals for 2015 : Finish BS Network Administration at WGU
    Become CCNA, CISSP, CEH, VCP5-10 Certified
    Possible Start Masters in Information Security
  • amitpanjawani313amitpanjawani313 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I am going to take the exam in a month or 2, any suggestion from your end?

Were questions all theoretical or any practical like exercise was included?

Thanks in Advance!!
  • IntrusionNewbIntrusionNewb Registered Users Posts: 21 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass
  • sharkezosharkezo Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats man!

@everybody any spare practice tests available ?
  • playboy5kplayboy5k Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @sharkezo shoot me your info and I will send you one.
  • kingmickingmic Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,

Does anyone have an extra GMON Practice Exam ?

Thank you

Michael
  • sharkezosharkezo Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    playboy5k I can't seem to message you , you disabled that
  • findingdoryfindingdory Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, so how was you exam? I am interested to take GMON but wonder how the exam looks like? Any hands on questions?

Hi,

I am going to take the exam in a month or 2, any suggestion from your end?

Were questions all theoretical or any practical like exercise was included?

Thanks in Advance!!
  • Randy_RandersonRandy_Randerson Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll second SEC503 as the next course. It ties in perfectly with 511 and honestly it is the most intense course I've ever taken. You will get so far into the weeds it is not even funny. And that class really sets the foundation for every other course since you will get knee deep in TCP and UDP packets. Seriously wish I had taken it before I took any other courses.
  • futurehendrixfuturehendrix Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'll second SEC503 as the next course. It ties in perfectly with 511 and honestly it is the most intense course I've ever taken. You will get so far into the weeds it is not even funny. And that class really sets the foundation for every other course since you will get knee deep in TCP and UDP packets. Seriously wish I had taken it before I took any other courses.

I recently passed the GCIA and was looking to some other certs and GMON came across. Does it make sense to go after the GMON since I already have the GCIA?
  • gggorillazgggorillaz Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi All,

I'm studying for the GMON GIAC SEC511 exam right now and it looks like I messed up saving my practice exams. I was wondering if anyone had a spare they could let me have for Continuous Monitoring Practice Exams 1 and 2.

sharkezo Might have a spare copy, but I can't message anyone directly as I am brand new to the board.

I'm also a bit on a time crunch (real exam is coming up in 2 days, I know, last minute studying) so any replies sooner than later would be amazing and very much appreciated!

Thanks all!