Options

A+, ccent, and a little experience?

nnayr3nnayr3 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Back in July I passed and got my A+. I started working in a help desk role immediately, so for about 3 months. I recently obtained my CCENT and am ready to look for other jobs. I understand I am new to this industry and will likely be in some type of customer service role, but any ideas on what I should look for now that I have my A+, CCENT and a little experience.

I've heard a few people here say when you obtain certs to keep looking. Either they can’t get hired for anything else other than help desk or they have forgotten everything and bomb interviews.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    NEODREAMNEODREAM Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like you are off to a great start, congrats on your recent accomplishments! In my opinion, I would keep gaining experience in your current role and study for your ICND2 to complete your CCNA: Routing and Switching since you already have your CCENT.
    Goal: eJPT Mar. 2020 | GDAT May 2020 | eCPPT Dec. 2020
  • Options
    Thanks! I really appreciate that.

I really hate the company I am at right now, and the distance from my house.

I was new to the industry and just took the first job. Would it be bad if I jumped to another company, but stayed there. I would like to be in a company where people actually have certs and want to be in IT not just a call center for anyone.
    NEODREAM wrote: »
    Sounds like you are off to a great start, congrats on your recent accomplishments! In my opinion, I would keep gaining experience in your current role and study for your ICND2 to complete your CCNA: Routing and Switching since you already have your CCENT.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It wouldn't be bad, just be prepared to answer the question of why you're trying to leave your first IT job in 3 months. If you just say the commute is really long and you're looking for someone closer you can stay long term it should be pretty reasonable. I'd avoid saying anything like "well, I got a cert, so time to move on!" hah
  • Options
    lol sounds good. Thanks for that advice.
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    It wouldn't be bad, just be prepared to answer the question of why you're trying to leave your first IT job in 3 months. If you just say the commute is really long and you're looking for someone closer you can stay long term it should be pretty reasonable. I'd avoid saying anything like "well, I got a cert, so time to move on!" hah
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,049 ■■■■■■■■□□
    nnayr3 wrote: »
    Thanks! I really appreciate that.

I really hate the company I am at right now, and the distance from my house.

CHANNEL your HATE.
    Harness that POWR and Embrace the DARK SIDE!
    mwahahaha!

Or just use it as motivation to get your ccna. (no one is going to hire you just because you have a ccent).

But congrats on your early success :]

btw, if you got a job tomrrow that's a better "fit", take it!
    until then, keep studying
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There's nothing wrong with saying "it was my first job in IT and it wasn't a good fit for X and Y reasons. I've learned from that." You do not want to be branded a job-hopper though which means that if you leave this job quickly, you will need to stay two years or so at the next one. I'd suggest you stay at the current one as long as you can, a year if you can stomach it. Get all the experience you can and crank out some certs before jumping. "Job hopper" means different things at different levels. It's easier to get away with when you're new to IT than it is later in your career as a tier-3 engineer. With helpdesk, it's easier to get away with two jobs in 18 months than tier-3 can with two jobs in five years.
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would get your CCNA then go into networking if that is what you wish to do. What are the goals you have in mind? Are you looking to get into networking or sys admin? Everyone starts at the Help Desk. I recently got back into IT from a 7 month break from it. So im back at square 1
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios