Options

Here's my resume

drthtaterdrthtater Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
Tell me what you think, I did have to add hyphens in place of bullets and whatnot.
DrthTater 						Email: [email]azrafel@gmail.com[/email]
123 My Street 						Tel: (866) 555-1212
High Point, NC 27265

CERTIFICATIONS

Network +
A+
DCSE

QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS

- Proficient in Microsoft Windows (9X/ME/2000/2003/XP)
 - Vast knowledge of computer hardware, as well as a variety of printers
 - Warranty work with Dell, Gateway, and Sony desktops and laptops
 - Troubleshoot printers, desktops, and laptops
 - Goal oriented, honest, and hard working

EDUCATION

Techskills, Greensboro, NC June 2005 – Present

LABS

- Network Security & Troubleshooting
 - Antivirus, Disaster Recovery & Fault Tolerance
 - TCP/IP Configuration
 - Troubleshooting Windows Operating Systems
 - Installing, Configuring and Sharing Printers

EMPLOYMENT

Field Technician June 2006 – Present
Networx Inc.
 - Traveled from site to site diagnosing and repairing PCs and laptops from several different vendors including Dell and Gateway.
 - Traveled from site to site servicing a variety of printers.

Sales Associate July 2002 – March 2004
Babies R Us, Radio Shack

VOLUNTEER

Build PCs for donation to Guildford Technical Community College for their GED program.

>.< Could someone please move this to the right section. I didn't mean to place it here.

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Couple things...

- if you serviced Dell, HP, etc for warranty work why not list those credentials under certifications? Aren't you required to pass exams to do warranty work for those vendors? OR did you merely work for a company that was certified?

- drop 'honest'. If you are honest it shouldn't need to be stated. (just a peeve of mine). Your character references can hype your honesty and hard-working personality. You shouldn't need to state it. ;)

- drop the "Labs' section. Not sure what your gaining with it. If you don't have enough stuff to fill your resume....don't just add stuff to fill it. Less is best. You have about 30 seconds to impress whoever reads your resume...actually skims it. Keep It Simple 'Student' :)

- Will this be the layout/format you will present? I'm hoping you posted it like this just for the sake of review. Make sure you have it in proper format for the real thing.

Other suggestions, get a couple resume books/on-line guides etc.. to follow. There are proven layouts that people prefer and fancy/custom/non-traditional resumes have limited audiences.

List work first, unless you don't have enough experience, then list schools first. Babies R Us and Radio Shack from 2004-2004? They are different companies so list your employement times separately. You should also know the dates you worked, but if you for some reason cannot remember when you worked (and BTW you should always know your start/stop dates...write them down on a card for future reference if it's not something you'll remember) at least get the months listed.

EX:

April 2002 - June 2004 Babies R US. (address/phone)
    - Cashier. Responsible for cash drawer. Assist customers with purchases. Stock shelves. Kept front of the store merchandised. etc..

May 2002 - Sept 2004 Radio Shack. (adderss/phone)
    - Sales associate. Assist clients with 'x'. Ring client purchases assist with returns....etc...

Give them details, but again if you get some resume books (usually high school and college offices have this for students, if you are not in school check your library or even on-line).

Final draft....PROOF-READ; PROOF-READ; PROOF-READ then have someone else check spelling, grammar etc.... Have your resume printed on heavy bond paper 25% OR BETTER.

Also be prepared to discuss what you were doing between 2004 until 2005 and 2006. You list school in 2005 but were you unable to work AND attend school? What about the time between 2004 and when you entered school? Not looking to give you a hard time, just things that you need to have answers for with out hesitating. If I were to interview you I'd hit you with those questions to see what type of answer you gave as well as how you answered it. (yep, I can be a jerk ;) ).

Anyway, I think your going in the right direction. Needs a little more work depending on what sort of job you are applying for. Keep in mind you can have two or three types of resumes....all with the same information just arranged to highlight your strengths.

Good luck
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Keenon already has this typed up:

http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15164

I didn't see this until today, so please visit the thread, he has good comments in there!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    I agree with everything stated, but I would also pick a different adjective to describe your hardware knowledge, as "vast" sounds kind of pretentious. "Extensive" sounds better, and gets the same point across.
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    I posted my resume on Monster, keeping my name and email hiddened, of course. I would read the job postings sent to my email and get an idea of how to assemble my resume. Looking for key phrases and descriptions of jobs/tasks. This also gave me an idea of what companies are looking for.

I let MONSTER or someone else do the work.

C
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.