Unrelated Major

denis92denis92 Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
I received my BA in chemistry from Hunter college in 2016. I really want to get into IT. Is it realistic to think I can get into IT with an unrelated major? I would prefer not to go back to school. I live in NY and most IT jobs even helpdesk require a bachelors degree in IT, comp science or related field. Does anyone know if this is some HR bullshit, I know some companies really require a major in IT but do you think all of them are serious? Anyone have experience with this?

Comments

• mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In IT, and especially in NY, the work experience you have will get you the interview if it's relevant. If you do not have a background in IT AND you do not have an IT-related major then it will be a tough sell for an HR manager even to want to bring you in for an interview. If IT is what you'd like to do, then I would recommend trying to cut your teeth with some volunteer work while gaining some industry certifications in whatever your interests are. After being on that track for a while, you can then start applying to help desk jobs to leverage the experience you've gained.

Good luck
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well, a major in music didn't stop the Equifax CISO from getting her job, so I think you will be okay, especially since chemistry is science, and critical thinking skills are useful for both science and technology.
    Yeah you may encounter HR lackeys that will try to disqualify you, just spin and leverage your experience towards the positions you apply for. Good luck!
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Try to get a certification such as A+ / Network+ from CompTIA and keep applying. Honestly, your first job will be the hardest to get because you have to overcome the hurdle of not having experience and not having an IT degree.

Once you get your first job, then you are in and just have to keep learning and progressing. A lot of people have unrelated majors and are in good IT positions.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    denis92 wrote: »
    most IT jobs even helpdesk request a bachelors degree in IT, comp science or related field. Does anyone know if this is some HR bullshit, I know some companies really request a major in IT but do you think all of them are serious? Anyone have experience with this?
    Fixed that for you. As others mentioned, pick up an entry level cert or two, brush up on what you need for an entry level position and work on your interview skills and you should be fine.
  • waspe3waspe3 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm in a similar position, what I'm doing is applying to help desk level 1 jobs and studying for the CCNA R&S exam.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    it depends what discipline you are trying to focus on.

Saying that you want to "get into IT", isn't really saying much.

What do you want to do specifically?
    Programming? You probably need a degree.
    System Admin? You probably need certs.

It all just depends...
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats on your Chemistry degree, that's pretty cool! As long as your degree is STEM you'll be in pretty good shape.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have degrees in architecture (building design, not computer architecture) and technical writing. What others have said is true; your experience carries more weight than a degree, though having a degree in anything will sometimes help to get your foot in the door.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    You can get experience in a science lab and working on the equipment/computers. Getting them to link up etc is a interesting task.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You can get experience in a science lab and working on the equipment/computers. Getting them to link up etc is a interesting task.

This is a great point. Look at Bayer/Monsanto for IT positions. They have niche support positions that will get you involved quickly into application support and back end database support. You can literally expedite your learning curve jumping over the typical tier 1 / tier 2 help desk.

Also look at the Climate Corp, subsidary of Bayer/Monsanto. Mostly work from home positions, and with your science background they will give you a good look.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I had a great time supporting a few labs (I had no science background), but getting the equipment to talk to one another was a blast. <do I sound like a nerd or what?) LOL
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • denis92denis92 Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone. I'll get the A+ certificate first probably and then start applying