Options

Studying CCENT - no IT experience - need next step advise please

RadioheadcaseRadioheadcase Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm 47 with no IT experience. I am somewhat computer saavy, just not certified or work experience doing so.

I want to make a career change, so I am currently studying the CCENT, and then completing my CCNA by summer if all goes well.

I am interested in networking, thus taking the CCNA. I don't want to end up with a CCNA, but can't find a job because of no experience. What would you recommend after the CCNA? Do I need something like the A+ as well to get a entry level job?

Thank you for any advice and feedback...

Thomas

Comments

• Options
    albinorhino187albinorhino187 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There's not really a cookie-cutter answer out there for you. I personally had the CompTIA trifecta (A+, Net+, Sec+) and landed a helpdesk/jack of all trades type of position. I didn't get to do any routing there, but I was responsible for the LAN, which was a collapsed core design with about 20 or so switches. That gave me enough experience, plus earning my CCNA on the job, to move into a pure networking role where I am now.

You might be able to find an entry-level networking job out there with just your CCNA, likely with a NOC or MSP. The A+ won't really help get into networking, but it could certainly help getting into IT in general with a helpdesk role or something similar, and then you could try to branch out from there.
    CCIE RS - Written (Goal: July 2019) [ ] Lab [ ]
  • Options
    Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    If you don't have experience, just have initiative and passion, and a CCNA will be enough to get you into a small position. Just don't stop where you land. Start talking to other departments; seem interested and given enough time, you can lateral or get promoted to another location. To answer your question, YES, a CCNA will help you land a job. But the certification isn't the golden ticket.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • Options
    Hello! I wasn't sure if just the CCNA could land me entry level job or not. I don't mind going for my CCNP after the CCNA, because that is progressing forward and a natural progression after the CCNA in many cases. I just didn't want to go for the older more general certificiate (A+) if it wasnt going to do any good for the most part. Thank you for your input, best of luck to you.
  • Options
    Well that makes me feel better. I really enjoy learning networking, and want to go forward from there. As long as what I am doing can hopefully get me in the door, I am driven enough from there to keep working on my next phase. :)