Background checks and IT Career

AODITAODIT Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
Alright so Im stuck with an undeserved misdemeanor 2 resisting arrest charge for the foreseeable future. I think in my state I can't do anything about it for the next 7 years. I have an Associates in comp information systems and tagged along a certificate from the community college as well for help desk for whatever that's worth. My plan is to snatch up A+ before the years end and get a job wherever I fit in whether that be in IT or not. I think IT is my future as far as a solid career goes and would like to just self study for certificates from here on out I believe unless a job wants to pay for my 2 years more of college or whatever. Do you guys think I can get work in IT with that charge and I really just need some guidance and tips on how to handle my situation. I really appreciate any advice!!! Oh yeah btw I do have like 2 years of help desk experience i scraped up over the years for whatever that's worth but those are like 7-8 years ago sadly.

Comments

• AODITAODIT Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    About 3 jobs so far have declined me due to my background and maybe 2 were IT related. What's your guys advice?
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    What did you do? was it in regard to past jobs? What jobs are you applying for? What type of clearance are needed for the jobs?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    I'm trying to get desktop support or help desk jobs to get myself in the door for IT and work up. I did basically nothing as stupid as it sounds, the officer escalated the situation and it got out of hand and I ended up with a charge. No clearances just regular positions for the most part sir!
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    AODIT wrote: »
    I did basically nothing as stupid as it sounds

I've heard that one before... ;)

But seriously, you're gonna have a hard time I'm guessing. You better get some certs and practice interviewing because you're gonna want to look as good as possible and have to make them really want to hire you for your skills and personality.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Move?

Seriously, misdemeanor reporting often doesn't cross state lines. I'm not suggesting you lie on an application but some applications only ask for detail so a background check can be performed and only ask about felonies.
  • vanillagorilla3vanillagorilla3 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've had misdemeanors on my record and have never been asked once about them. What type of companies were they?
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    AODIT wrote: »
    I'm trying to get desktop support or help desk jobs to get myself in the door for IT and work up. I did basically nothing as stupid as it sounds, the officer escalated the situation and it got out of hand and I ended up with a charge. No clearances just regular positions for the most part sir!
    Interesting... <and it's ma'am to you,partner..> Most applications just ask it you had any felonies..See if you can get your record 'expunged'...
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I have criminal mischief on my record (drove through some grass when I was younger... not my greatest moment, of course!). I've been asked about it, but it was long ago and I've grown a lot since then. Nothing since then, either. It's not a red flag to instantly shut me out, but it was something that was brought up once (out of dozens of interviews).
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Interesting... <and it's ma'am to you,partner..> Most applications just ask it you had any felonies..See if you can get your record 'expunged'...

+ 1

How to Expunge Your Criminal Records: 9 Steps (with Pictures)

Your criminal record can make it more difficult to get a job or rent an apartment. Employers and landlords may inquire about your criminal history. But, if you expunge your criminal records, you can honestly say that your record is clean. The process of having your criminal records expunged is different in every state. This means the first step is to find out more about the process in your jurisdiction. That said, there are many elements of the process that are similar from one state to the next.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    Thank you everyone for your advice. I don't think that I can get this expunged until the allotted time goes by. I think based off of what was said that I will just keep on knocking on doors and try to have a good interview and work around my misdemeanor charge. I'm never going to move unless a very very good opportunity is there. Thank you everyone!:D
  • alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you disclose it on the application when asked? Most job apps I see state felonies or midemeanors so make sure to be upfront about it. Have a good reason/explanation and don't blame it on the cop being a dick. It's your charge now, own it.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
    You know what some jobs in the past I didn't disclose it and your right it does seem to cause a problem. I think I will be more upfront with it in the future. However, I'm going to tell the truth. It is my charge I get your point but I honestly was treated very badly and borderline assaulted.Thank you for your advice though I definitely will be upfront with it!
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    For what it's worth, I know a few people with security clearances, including one with a Top Secret, that have criminal records. I also know a business owner who wants to give convicts released from prison a second chance, that's like his social project (he's a millionaire so it must be working out well for him), he actually visits prisons and donates to job training programs and gives his time helping to rehabilitate inmates.
    To overcome a criminal record, the key is:
    1. Disclose it, don't try to hide it, it will surface, employers will find out about it. Hell, there's some dude with my exact name who's got murder convictions, I had to contest a google search result when his record came up. Luckily his picture was in one of the links so it proved it wasn't me.
    2. Own it! All of the above guys accept full responsibility for their actions, admit they just f*cked up, and now just want to move on. They don't blame the police, bad parents, or society, even if some of them deserved blame. Even the one who turned out to actually be innocent after evidence surfaced proving he wasn't there at the time of the crime, up until then, just owned up to it. Even with an expunged record though, on security clearance applications, he still has to list he was once charged, tried, and convicted, but he can also explain his conviction was overturned, at least.
    A criminal record isn't the end, but it can be a big barrier, especially if mishandled.
  • FayzFayz Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Try obtaining contract positions. Some staffing companies are not too stringent with background checks. If you obtain a contract to permanent position then that may be an issue.