Job Interview - Beard or No?

pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
What's the consensus on showing up bearded to a job interview these days? I'm talking well manicured vintage beard, not hipster fuzz or chin strap crap lol On one hand Id hate to not get a job because of something like that, but on the other, I really don't want to work for an oppressive company either.
CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT

Comments

• TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Based on what you said you're doing I don't think there is a problem. Good luck in your interview!
  • LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you a sysadmin?

Yes -> Grow a beard.

No -> Don't grow a beard.

Do you care about conforming to stereotypes?

Yes -> See flowchart above

No -> Do what you want with your facial hair.
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have had a beard since I got my discharge and I won't shave it for anyone...including my wife. If a company doesn't like me having a trimmed beard, that is their problem and I will not work for a company like that.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Two thoughts:

If you know who you are interviewing with, check to see if they have beards on any of their social media profiles.

You want to be hired by a company that accepts your style and personality. If you try to be someone you are not and get hired, you might regret it when you notice you and the companies culture doesn't match.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Treat a beard like you would hair; doesn't matter if it's daily manicured with a template or a twice-a-week trim, keep it neat. I would suggest shaving your neck a bit though if you don't already do so. "Neck beard" is the sloppiest looking part of having a beard.
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    No beard if it makes you look too old. Yes, discrimination's illegal, but only if you get caught.

No shave if it makes you look too young. Yes beard if it makes you look mature & confident.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The company has to be really really white collar for it to matter as long as we aren’t talking Gandolf beard.
  • PocketLumberjackPocketLumberjack Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As someone who as had a beard since age 15, if I don't get hired because of my beard I don't want to work there.
    Learn some thing new every day, but don’t forget to review things you know.
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If it's grown out past that mangy stage, keep it.

It's who you are, beards aren't a bad thing. If it's a scraggly gross catch all beard (half a burrito in there), then shave it all off. If it's nicely maintained and taken care of, then leave it.

If you don't get the job because you have a beard, it's going to be a very stuck up place to work. Not a good environment to work in (for me, anyway). You're interviewing the company, as well. If they don't like a good beard, do you want to work there? If you REALLY need the job, I'd visit around quitting time and look at the other employees - how many have beards. That will tell you whether or not to keep it.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    If it's well groomed then I don't see a need to shave it for an interview.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• asiru77asiru77 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    you have to work through your knowledge and experience , beard does not have to do any thing with both these things
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    keep the beard, but make sure there isn't any mold going on or it smells funny. Good luck.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    hehe, thanks guys. I have a job so just kicking tires looking for something more engaging ATM. Keeping the beard - I think it was just a ploy by my wife to get me to shave lol

The discrimination point is a valid one - I'm not up there yet but I can definitely see that being an issue for some.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    pitviper wrote: »
    hehe, thanks guys. I have a job so just kicking tires looking for something more engaging ATM. Keeping the beard - I think it was just a ploy by my wife to get me to shave lol

The discrimination point is a valid one - I'm not up there yet but I can definitely see that being an issue for some.

I'm sure a beard like Peter is just fine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57q4Gt1t3Mk
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP