Options

Job offer help

BigRedJapanBigRedJapan Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone

Just wanted to get your advice on this. I've been offered a job which will be a 21% increase in pay from 53K package > 64K package.

This new role will be a help desk/desktop type role proving L1/2 Support in a large enterprise global environment.

My current role is mid-range tier server/network L2 role.

Do you think it is a good move since I am struggling to pay my bills with my current pay.

At the end of the day more pay is a better career move i think..

Thanks all.

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Of course it is.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    KoreKore Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi BidRedJapan,

Money wise, it is a step up but going from a server/network support to desktop is definitely a step backwards from my view, career wise. Ultimately the decision is yours. If the new company offers opportunities for growth where you can move back to server support then that is a plus and will work out better! Also, have you applied to other companies with similar responsibilities that can offer more pay?

Me personally would not make a move solely for money. If I will not enjoy the work and if the work does not align with moving up in responsibilities and working with higher technology to continue learning, then it is a no.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    But, since he is struggling with bills, that could be beneficial and if he is interested in the work, even better..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Do you think it is a good move

No it's not. You are going backwards in your career. I'd rather find a way to cut expenses while looking for another opportunity.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A perfect example of a mistake many people make when looking at their "career".

If you need the money, take it. However, this is not progression of your career, only your income.

It's all down to your circumstance.
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Dont do it. Its a step back no one wants to take. You are not going to find another support role higher than that nor are you going to find it easy to jump back into infrastructure when you regret your decision.

Fix your money problems first. Do you even have a monthly budget with your expected pay vs your bills? Do you blindly spend? or are paying child support or something?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    100k100k Member Posts: 196
    Prob has to pay student loans.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There's money and there is career; while both are important, which is more important right now? Why are you you looking favorably on this role?
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Could deliver pizza part-time until you land a higher paying job that isn't a step down in title like the one you are considering. Then just don't put the pizza delivery part on your resume.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP