UMCP M.E. Cybersecurity VS SANS MSISE

kasgaromeokasgaromeo Member Posts: 24 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, everybody in techexams.net!

I just joined at techexams.net. So, I'm a noob in here...

By the way, I really consider to enroll one of the master degrees between UMCP and SANS.

I've researched in techexames.net a lot, but I haven't reached to decide which school I really need.

I don't know how much SANS Certifications are worth for my future career because I've never been taken the courses, but I'm very intrigued of GXPN and GREM. I assume that the SANS degree itself might not be worth, but their certs might be worth.

In the other way, University of Maryland College Park's Master of Engineering program is one of the best hands-on option and its degree for my future career; however, I don't actually know their program is good or not.

For tuition, I will use my GI Bill, but I'm still active duty. So, my situation is kind of difficult to decide which school I need..

If somebody has any experience on SANS or UMCP, please help me out..

Thanks!

Comments

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm going to assume your future career is malware reverser and/or exploit writer? The SANS degree seems like you'd learn more than almost any other program on a whole range of security topics, as for the actual degree, I don't know that most HR or recruiters even know what the STI even is.

I also don't know how good the program is in Maryland. But, a masters in engineering from a well known state school is very likely going to get more interest than a SANS degree. Now, with that said, the SANS courses are awesome. If you can fit the UMCP degree and a SANS course or two in your GI Bill that would be great. And, if you're not sure how good the UMCP program is and have the GI Bill might as well look and see what else is out there too.
  • devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    kasgaromeo wrote: »
    Hi, everybody in techexams.net!

I just joined at techexams.net. So, I'm a noob in here...

By the way, I really consider to enroll one of the master degrees between UMCP and SANS.

I've researched in techexames.net a lot, but I haven't reached to decide which school I really need.

I don't know how much SANS Certifications are worth for my future career because I've never been taken the courses, but I'm very intrigued of GXPN and GREM. I assume that the SANS degree itself might not be worth, but their certs might be worth.

In the other way, University of Maryland College Park's Master of Engineering program is one of the best hands-on option and its degree for my future career; however, I don't actually know their program is good or not.

For tuition, I will use my GI Bill, but I'm still active duty. So, my situation is kind of difficult to decide which school I need..

If somebody has any experience on SANS or UMCP, please help me out..

Thanks!
    Can you use Tuition Assistance instead of GI Bill since your on AD still? I dont have experience with either but I am looking forward to taking some SANS courses in the next few months. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. Welcome to the site.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What do you want to get out of it? SANS will teach you critical skills that will make you effective in InfoSec jobs...think of it like a vocational school. UMCP looks more like a traditional degree that will teach you at a conceptual level but won’t get you in the weeds of packet dissection...which means to actually contribute you will have to do extra work.

Are you already in InfoSec? If not, UMCP probably will be easier to understand...SANS has a lot of good information but it would be difficult to comprehend certain subjects without context.
  • kasgaromeokasgaromeo Member Posts: 24 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If I go to UMCP, I can use TA. But, SANS is not. I will post any progress with my update. Thanks,
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    What do you want to get out of it? SANS will teach you critical skills that will make you effective in InfoSec jobs...think of it like a vocational school. UMCP looks more like a traditional degree that will teach you at a conceptual level but won’t get you in the weeds of packet dissection...which means to actually contribute you will have to do extra work.

Are you already in InfoSec? If not, UMCP probably will be easier to understand...SANS has a lot of good information but it would be difficult to comprehend certain subjects without context.

I'm not in InfoSec yet, but I was an IT Manager before joining the military. In addition, OSCP and my degrees are enough to explain what I'm in.
    By the way, I'm planning to move InfoSec in Military if I can. So, you meant that SANS is better for technical knowledges?

Indeed, I really want to learn skills, not concepts. So, that is one of my critical point for choosing the school.
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    I'm going to assume your future career is malware reverser and/or exploit writer? The SANS degree seems like you'd learn more than almost any other program on a whole range of security topics, as for the actual degree, I don't know that most HR or recruiters even know what the STI even is.

I also don't know how good the program is in Maryland. But, a masters in engineering from a well known state school is very likely going to get more interest than a SANS degree. Now, with that said, the SANS courses are awesome. If you can fit the UMCP degree and a SANS course or two in your GI Bill that would be great. And, if you're not sure how good the UMCP program is and have the GI Bill might as well look and see what else is out there too.

I wish I could do that to enroll UMCP and taking SANS training, but what I know for GI bill is not supporting the training.. that I know so far.
    kasgaromeo wrote: »
    I'm not in InfoSec yet, but I was an IT Manager before joining the military. In addition, OSCP and my degrees are enough to explain what I'm in.
    By the way, I'm planning to move InfoSec in Military if I can. So, you meant that SANS is better for technical knowledges?

Indeed, I really want to learn skills, not concepts. So, that is one of my critical point for choosing the school.
    Correct...SANS will show you real skills on tools you can use in an InfoSec job....like packet dissection, forensics, etc.

It’s a double edged sword though if you run into an HR department where they want an accredited degree though.
  • ITHokieITHokie Member Posts: 158 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    It’s a double edged sword though if you run into an HR department where they want an accredited degree though.

If you're suggesting that the SANS (STI) degrees are not accredited, that's incorrect. If you're suggesting that HR departments don't have familiarity with it, that's probably correct, although I'm not sure that matters a whole lot. The bucket of skills and experience one would have at the point of having a SANS masters degree would probably put them in a position where they aren't very dependent on HR/Recruiting to get an audience with hiring managers. I'm in that position now without an MS, though I'm really considering STI.
    Sorry you are correct it was a multitask mistype haha. I’m a huge fan of SANS/GIAC...I would say that them and Cisco are probably the best two certification systems for IT.