Studying 70-284

Hi I'm now on my 70-284 studies, to be a MCSA Messaging, I need to learn and pass this one, my only question is that in the EVS topic, i am not familiar with cluster administrator, do i first need to study clustering, because here in our company, we just have 1 exchange server and our database clustering is handled by subcontractor?...how can i study EVS cause i want to implement that also...thanks

Comments

• eastpeastp Member Posts: 179
    I think this can't be done.
    Unless you have some fancy hardware...
    There where some previous posts about installing it on ms virtual server.
    But I checked it just to be sure and this is what I found.
    (When I was studying for this exam I didn't do this part in a lab.)

Microsoft supports Exchange Server 2003 running on hardware virtualization software (virtual machines) only when all the following conditions are true:
    • The hardware virtualization operating system is Virtual Server 2005 R2 or a later version.
    • The version of Exchange Server that is running on the virtual machine is Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2) or a later version.
    • The Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 Virtual Machine Additions are installed on the guest operating system.
    • Exchange Server 2003 is configured as a stand-alone server, not as part of a Windows cluster. • The SCSI driver that is installed on the guest operating system is the Microsoft Virtual Machine PCI SCSI Controller driver.
    • The virtual hard disk Undo feature is not enabled.

Taken from :
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320220
    Someone please correct me if i'm wrong...

Kind regards.
    Eastp.
    Multitasking:
    Screwing up several things at once.
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    http://www.exchange-mail.org/articles/VMware%20clustering%201.0.pdf

HEY BUD i found this pdf document on vmware and building a
    cluster servers looks promising to and it is from MVP.

i have the same issues; i cant afford 4000.00 for Enterprise Edition.

good luck....

icon_eek.gif

PS. Looks like you can cluster with this without enterprise exhange?
  • geekiegeekie Member Posts: 391
    Nice link thanks!!
    PS. Looks like you can cluster with this without enterprise exhange?

Fraid not!

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/Guides/Ex2k3DepGuide/9f5b91cd-d7c2-409d-81a0-033a23e1faee.mspx?mfr=true

Check out the operating system version and exchange edition requirements.
    Up Next : Not sure :o
  • jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    thanks for the links.......i am now in messaging security topic...
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    HEY GEEKIE

i think you can cluster windows 2003 servers in the VMWARE.
    but yeah you are right Exchange nees to be Exhchange Enterpirse Edition 2003 i agree but since i guess it is the database sync that is needed here on the external share but the pdf is cool atleaset it can give us an idea.

I try to help sometimes i get busy maybetoo busy but whatever i can do to help us nerds out (respectively) hahaa
    i like your avatar way cool!