GASF (Failed) :(

VesaliusVesalius Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have worked in the field of digital forensics, specifically mobile phone forensics for 1 and a half years, and I took the GASF exam yesterday after going to the FOR 585 course.

I straight away went for that course since it is a specialized course and CERT in the field I worked in. It was the first GIAC exam I have ever taken and I failed it, by getting 66% out of the 69% pass requirement. I have to re-take but I now have a much better understanding of how the exams are laid out. The questions in the exam were more practical oriented making it a bit awkward for me since I didn't really study those areas of the workbook. The practice exams that come with the GIAC cert wasn't like the original exam at all. I passed one of the practical exams, and I have one left. I will be re-taking the Exam soon, and this time I will study much harder. I currently work more on the PenTesting side of things, and will hopefully also jump on the GSEC after I take care of the unfinished business I have with the GASF xD.

I will grateful for any advice you guys have out there for me prior to re-taking the exam...

Comments

• TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Vesalius wrote: »
    The practice exams that come with the GIAC cert wasn't like the original exam at all. I passed one of the practical exams, and I have one left.

I will grateful for any advice you guys have out there for me prior to re-taking the exam...

By how much of a percentage margin did you pass the practice exam? Did you create an index?
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • billyr2009billyr2009 Member Posts: 120
    Don't give up, you were really close. If you focus on your weak areas and study through the books with an index, you will certainly get more than 66% and enough to pass. Do you have any practice exams left? If so, you can study your weak areas and then retake the practice exam and see where you are at. Also, what TechGromit mentioned, even though the index can be time consuming, it is vital for Sans exams.
  • quogue66quogue66 Member Posts: 193 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use the same process for every SANS class and so far it has worked great for me. I read all the books and do all the labs three times. I create a really in-depth index (usually around 1200 terms). I'm currently studying for GREM and I'm listening to the MP3 files 4 days a week to and from work. I currently have a long drive to work. I've never done this before because I had a very quick commute.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    quogue66 wrote: »
    I'm currently studying for GREM and I'm listening to the MP3 files 4 days a week to and from work.

I've listened to Lenny's day 2 lectures several times in the car with limited value, the subject is to too complicated to listen to without visual aids in my opinion, I'll have to try to listen to some day 3 or 4 lectures, see if they are any better value.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • quogue66quogue66 Member Posts: 193 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    I've listened to Lenny's day 2 lectures several times in the car with limited value, the subject is to too complicated to listen to without visual aids in my opinion, I'll have to try to listen to some day 3 or 4 lectures, see if they are any better value.
    LOL...I came to the same conclusion. My test is scheduled for Friday so I am at the point where I don't need to listen to day 1 and don't get any value out of listening to day 2. I am really just listening to days 3-5 right now.