Passed GSE Multiple Choice

RobicusRobicus Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
One step closer... now onto the REAL challenge next Spring. :D

Background:
STI graduate student who took the "traditional" path towards earning the GSE pre-reqs: GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, and two gold papers. I'm eligible to sit the GSE lab this Fall in Vegas but feel like I should prepare more. Thus, I'll be sitting the lab next Spring in Orlando.

GSE Multiple Choice:
The allotted exam time varies per GIAC certification. Most GIAC exams that are 150 questions in length allot 4 hours. The GSE is tricky because it is an 150 question exam with only 3 hours. The real tricky part is that the exam pulls questions from the GSEC, GCIA, and GCIH exams. I walked into the testing center with 16 books and 3 indexes, and less time than normal. I finished with 60 seconds left.

That said; the exam is very doable. A recent change to the GSE multiple choice: GIAC now provides 3 practice exams: one for each of the three certs that comprise the GSE. This wasn't the case until recently.

One step closer...
What's Next? eLearnSecurity's eCIR

MSISE, CISSP, GSE (#202), GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, GPEN, GMON, GCFE, GCCC, GCPM, eJPT, AWS CCP

Comments

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats, that's huge!
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats man!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • gwood113gwood113 Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, huge accomplishment!
  • RobicusRobicus Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you everyone! I'll start a new thread later this year when I start preparing for the hands-on lab. Until then, I'm sitting the GMON in two weeks and then starting FOR500 and SEC566 in September.

Cheers,

MSISE, CISSP, GSE (#202), GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, GPEN, GMON, GCFE, GCCC, GCPM, eJPT, AWS CCP
  • c5rookiec5rookie Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Robicus,

I am taking the long road and taking GCUX and GCWN and skipping GSEC. Do you see any advantage of taking the GSEC to prepare for the GSE written?
  • Cuse0311Cuse0311 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Robicus wrote: »
    Thank you everyone! I'll start a new thread later this year when I start preparing for the hands-on lab. Until then, I'm sitting the GMON in two weeks and then starting FOR500 and SEC566 in September.

Cheers,

Congrats! Are you doing self-study for all of these classes or are you actually taking the course at a conference or via some other method like OnDemand or vLive?
    I apologize for the delay!
    c5rookie wrote: »
    Robicus,

I am taking the long road and taking GCUX and GCWN and skipping GSEC. Do you see any advantage of taking the GSEC to prepare for the GSE written?

There's not a huge advantage. However, the questions for the GSE multiple choice do come from the GSEC, GCIH, and GCIA question banks. This means that the GSEC questions will be a bit foreign to you, only on principle though. Based on your experience, certs, and for the fact that you'll receive a GSEC practice test once you sign up for the GSE, you should be totally fine. :)

Cuse0311 wrote: »
    Congrats! Are you doing self-study for all of these classes or are you actually taking the course at a conference or via some other method like OnDemand or vLive?

Thank you so much! I've taken 4 out of my 5 SANS courses in-person at conferences (GSEC was the only one I did OnDemand). I'm flying to another conference in September to take FOR500 in-person and at the same time, starting SEC566 OnDemand (which will be my second OnDemand course).

Thanks again!

• DJVeritasDJVeritas Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice work! It was good to meet you at the Baltimore SEC511 class.
  • IntrusionNewbIntrusionNewb Registered Users Posts: 21 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass.