Please read this post if you’re going for CCNA

graggrag Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just passed my ICND2 today with a score of 918!!! So happy, I want to share my story here for the benefit of anyone going for their CCNA.
This certification is not easy to get, I have spent an entire year studying for it and taking exams. I have spent longer attending Cisco network academy classes through my local college before attempting the certification exams. To anyone trying to get their CCNA, understand it requires knowledge, work, study, time and some failure. It is OK to fail a Cisco exam, keep trying, you will pass it eventually. I chose the 2 part exam path (ICND1 and 2) over the single comprehensive exam to make the process easier, I failed ICND1 twice, passed it on the third attempt, I failed ICND2 twice, passed it on the third attempt. I know how it feels to read the word fail; despondent is the best description I can think of. I think if I fail this again, I don’t know what to do; take it again and again but where do I change my program of study? Fortunately I passed and I want to tell others not to give up, work on difficult areas you are not so strong in.
I used Wendell Odom’s ICND 1 and 2 books along with the practice test software. I also printed out posters from packetlife.net which summarize topics nicely. After exhausting the practice questions I also used Boson software, I will say that you should do practice tests but do not overdo them; a mistake I realized I was making. If you can answer a question without fully reading it then you are only rehashing the same old piece of networking repeatedly.
There are other resources I found online: Netacad bridging course, forums like this one, cbtnuggets, networklessons.com, videos and of course self-study. Read, make notes, create your own topology in Packet Tracer from scratch, repeat some PT exercises from Cisco Netacad if you can, the best thing is real equipment if you have access to it. Practice is good and don’t study your strong areas, tackle the weak ones. You have to retake if you do fail, you cannot quit.

Comments

• hunterthuntert Banned Posts: 231
  • ThatboldMEThatboldME Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow..Your awesome .I'm really inspired that you didn't give up even after facing "~(pass)" for 4 times.
    Congratulations:)
    Thanks for sharing your experience
  • prdemonprdemon Member Posts: 54 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice post, and Congrats...
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for sharing! A pass is a pass! Whats next on schedule?
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • jhntbrightjhntbright Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am with you, grag and congrats. What is your next target of certification?
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats! Glad to see that hard work pay off.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Grats, huge accomplishment.
  • networkfuzznetworkfuzz Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Very inspiring and informational. Congrats on your accomplishement!
  • MyCompSucksMyCompSucks Member Posts: 5 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Very helpful as I am also going for CCNA. I like Odom's books too. Didn't know about packetlife website, but seems useful. Thanks.
  • MyCompSucksMyCompSucks Member Posts: 5 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Also congrats on the pass!
  • wsousa1wsousa1 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thank for posting this. I too am studying for the icnd1. When you are married with kids including a newborn its definitely hard to find the time and energy to study. Then again, its hard but not impossible.
  • PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    Congrats!
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog
  • mr.comfortablymr.comfortably Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, and nice score!
    I love reading success stories. It inspires me to study.

-Grind - Grind - Grind - 1% Everyday
  • nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! Way to be persistent!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • hanker21hanker21 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    very inspiring story, sometimes we must face the truth that we were failed, but experienced will teach us better than other. road to ccna 2018.
  • Paulieb81Paulieb81 Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did you find the Boson software / practice questions to be up to date and accurate for the current test? I've seen some reports that there are outdated content and questions that are no longer on the Cisco test and would like to know before I purchase the Boson practice exams.
    Going back to school to finish my B.S.
    Goals for 2017: Security+, CCNA = NOT DONE YET
    Goals for 2018: VCP6, PMI CAPM, ITIL, Six Sigma
    ... and when there is time: MCSE, CCNA Security