A+ 902 failure

Markb51Markb51 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just failed my A+ 902 for the third time. I scored 641 3 times. Everyone at the school can't believe I got the same score each time. I'm stumped on what I should do to prep for a re-exam. I have the sybex A+ book i used at my school, I have mike Myers book and I have 5 different A+ apps on my android phone. I missed a lot of scenario questions. I just completed the CST program at TTY career college. Its a 5 month course that is broken up into 5 areas - IT fundamentals, A+ 901, A+ 902, Network +, MCSO Windows 10. I have 2 out of the 5 certifications #1. IT Fundamentals, #2 A+ 901. What should I do? Audit the 902 class, use different books or apps, go to a different school, or try to get an IT job with just the 2 certs I have right now. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• djrabesdjrabes Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Damn, that's some bad luck you're having.

I believe you still need to pass 902 to get your A+ Certification. On your score report, does it tell you where you are struggling? That might help us get an understanding of where you need to work on.
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCP, MCSA: Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2016, Windows 10
    Studying: Exam 70-414: Implementing an Advanced Server Infrastructure
    Want: MCSA: Office 365, MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure Exam 70-414: Implementing an Advanced Server Infrastructure), Network+, Security+
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You need to study more. Obviously whatever materials you're using are not working. If you are having trouble with A+ it's only going to get harder once you enter the work field.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ouch. I get that the struggle is real. Sorry for your misfortune. Do yourself a favor and go here: https://www.professormesser.com/

Watch the free videos, then I'd recommend buying the study notes. He's outdone himself with those and it's a lot of content to cover, but he does it well. Total cost to you, $10. Good luck on Try #4!
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • cdxcdx Member Posts: 186
    I would advise different study materials. Professor Messer is an excellent resource for A+ along with the A+ Examcram book (you can get this on Amazon). It also comes with a handy **** sheet.
    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
    Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems
  • philrozziphilrozzi Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I failed mine too and I'm currently studying to take it again. What chapters in the Mike Myers book did you study for the 902 exam? I obviously don't want to read the whole book and relearn info that I already passed in the 901 exam.
    Too add to my above post...Part 2 of the Mike Myers book on operating system technologies (chapters 16-21) is basically all the info for 902 exam, correct? I just received this book and I'm making sure the info for the two exams isn't scattered throughout the whole book.
    Any of you nerds have an answer for me?
  • jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Duqnno. I didn't use the Mike Meyers book. I used ExamCram and uCertify.
  • floydsuaresfloydsuares Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cdx wrote: »
    I would advise different study materials. Professor Messer is an excellent resource for A+ along with the A+ Examcram book (you can get this on Amazon). It also comes with a handy **** sheet.

i agree with this comment made by *cdx*
  • JASSINGHJASSINGH Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    [h=2]icon1.png Failed 902[/h]
    Please guys need ur help here:
    1) How long i can wait to give 902 exam after 901 passed.
    2) I failed with 656 on last saturday, Please suggest me what should i do.
    Thanks
  • NonazoonaNonazoona Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @philrozzi I am studying the Mike Myers book and 902 information is scattered around the whole book. Good news is in each chapter he clearly indicates where 902 information is before giving any. Skim each chapter, sticky note any section that starts with a bold "902." Then study.
  • davec8080davec8080 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think you have too many study materials. Each author will give you more than you need to pass the test. Choose too much study material and it's like trying to absorb 10X as much info.as you will need...

Keep it basic. I am A+ certified twice. First time, I got perfect scores using Mike Meyers book as only study material. Second time around, I used Mike Meyers book (primary), darril gibson 902 android app (just for fun) and Mike Meyers practice exam 902 udemy course. I got high scores on both exams, but did not ace them like I did the first time.

I should note I did not study much for 901, as I was expecting the exam to be much easier than it was. I studied harder for 902.
  • wolvmarinewolvmarine Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sadly, I'm in the same boat. I've done the ucertify which I hear is not the best but I've done all the test multiple times with a consistent 90 plus but keep failing the dang test. I'm having the same problem with the scenario questions as well. Two seem to be correct but I know one is supposed to be better but in my ucertfiy and professor messor videos doesn't seem to answer those types of questions. Just wondering if you passed it yet?
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Study harder on the topics that you may know and need improvements.

On the exam search for main words, always look for what CompTIA is asking.
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • x3eemguyx3eemguy Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You can't just study, you also have to get your hands dirty. Explore your windows os, use command prompt, partition your hdd, install Linux, get to know you pc. At least that's what I did.
  • PanDimiPanDimi Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to be the bearer of unpleasant news but the fact that you failed the same exam for the third time and with the same score after so much prep/studying is -at least to me- a clear indication that you have not spent enough time getting yourself busy and your hands "dirty" with the subject matter. I honestly think more studying and more buying of studying resources will do you no good. My advice is to find an entry level IT job and start troubleshooting, fixing, breaking and fixing again anything you can get your hands on. In a matter of 6 months you will have acquired the knowledge and skills to achieve a passing grade, for sure. Good luck.
  • boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    the trick is to getting used to how CompTIA asks questions. Most likely you are not understanding the question properly.

You have to really think about it because whatever devil rights those questions is very good and confusing you.
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There are ways of getting enough to pass but I'll let you look that up. It's a lot of critical thinking involved so much sure you know the material. These test are expensive so please make sure you're ready. Good luck!
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Look at your score report. It will tell you exactly where your deficiencies were. With that go over the material relevant to those areas. You may be running in circles if you are not going through the areas where you are having issues. Also check out the exam objectives to see which sections include which material.
  • KandinskyKandinsky Member Posts: 108 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got my A+ in 2015, so it was the 801/802 then but I used professor messer as well as the practice tests on Measureup.com

When you can pass the practice test 4 times in a row with a 90% or better that's usually a sign you might be ready. But everyone here has presented good advice. Hands on experience is always important. You can read all about motherboards, power supplies, CPUs, etc but until you actually put them all together yourself you're missing something IMO. Anyway, don't get discouraged and keep trying.