I have a physics degree and getting A+

microwattmicrowatt Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have ba in physics and was wondering if this would hurt me in finding a job with entry level. should I leave the degree off my resume ?

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Definitely leave it on. A lot of employers just want to see you have a degree and don't even care what it is in.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    + 1 on the degree. Physics degree is a STEM degree leave it, it's a huge value add.
  • EagerDinosaurEagerDinosaur Member Posts: 114
    These days it seems that almost every job requires a degree (in the UK at least), so probably best to leave it on. I reckon a Physics background is a pretty good starting point for most IT roles.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I always give a +1 to someone with a STEM/technical degree, as opposed to a humanities major.
  • dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    I work with a few people with hard science (Physics, Chemistry, etc...) degrees, so no, I don't think it'll hurt you at all.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I worked with a guy with a BS from MSU in kinesiology, his current employer requires a BS for his position...they did not care what it was. He used to be a junior high gym teacher.
  • Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    That's awesome! Why would you even consider hiding that? People with a STEM degree, almost always have a greater understanding of theory and logic; especially with a background in physics!
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
    That's awesome! Why would you even consider hiding that? People with a STEM degree, almost always have a greater understanding of theory and logic; especially with a background in physics!

My daughter is taking Physics in high school and I can barely understand it...... ;)
    EANx wrote: »
    I always give a +1 to someone with a STEM/technical degree, as opposed to a humanities major.

Humanities get a -1?
  • Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Our Sr. network engineer was a physics teacher.... I would leave it on. As mentioned... it's a STEM degree... you have the mental horsepower to learn and tackle a technical job. This is a huge plus IMO.... keep it on and good luck. :)

Hatch
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Do you have a degree in Physics? Like, a legit BS in physics? Why would you want to go for IT instead of getting something that pays much more ?
    A entry level in mechanical engineering, application engineer, energy engineering will pay twice or more than an entry level job in IT.

I mean if you really want to go for IT, sure, go for it. Do w/e makes you happy.
    meh
  • Bjcheung77Bjcheung77 Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's great you've got a degree in physics. If you're looking at A+ as your starting point, that's a good "vendor neutral" exam.
    I would continue onwards with more CompTia exams or other exams that your company pays for. Vendor Neutral first...
    Then you need to "specialize" yourself in a niche of IT. InfoSec, DataBase, VM, Project Management, ITIL, etc.
    Lastly, get the Biz/IT certs that correspond to the niche (or two) you would like to work in, such as VMware & PMP....
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    Do you have a degree in Physics? Like, a legit BS in physics? .
    I was thinking if they did get a legit BS in Physics from an accredited University they are smarter than 95% of this forum, LOL.
  • jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    microwatt wrote: »
    I have ba in physics...

Y'all kill me.